41. Aftermath

Reader's POV

"Why did you do that, Eren?" Dad glared at Eren as I and Eren stood in the hallway right beside the office with Dad who had asked the office staff for a moment to talk to his son first before signing him out for the day and the one after that because he had gotten himself another suspension by slapping Isabel in the face on the stage while she was giving her speech because I had asked him to.

And I was allowed to leave the assembly for the while this was going on because I was now a president of a club and I got quite a few perks.

"I asked him to do that, Dad. Please don't blame him," I tried to defend Eren, feeling bad for getting him in trouble.

"And why would you do that?" Dad massaged his temples to relieve the pain of a headache he must have gotten because of his kids.

"Well. Maybe because I hate her?"

"Don't get sarcastic with me," Dad scolded, "What would your mother do when she hears about this?"

"Then maybe let's just not tell her?" I suggested.

"Do you think that Isabel's mother won't talk to her about this?"

"Good point," I went into deep thinking.

"Dad! We don't have to be nice to her!" Eren raised his voice.

"Eren!" I tried to stop him before he did something he would later regret, like making that Joe Mama joke on the principal a couple of days ago.

"You do know how she treats Zeke, right?!" Eren continued on, "She's getting worse with us and you know how she'll get even worse with Zeke!"

"Eren! Be quiet!"

"All because his birth mother isn't here?" Eren was enraged, "But he still has a mother! She doesn't see that!"

"What?" Dad looked at Eren, "She torments him because of Dina's absence?"

"Yes...," I answered quietly. I had chosen to not tell Dad about this because if he found out why Isabel did what she did then he would tell Mom who would in return stop inviting Isabel over which would break Mom's relationship with her brother and best friend.

"Hah!" Dad was mad, "I'll tell Carla about this as soon as she gets off work! Why didn't you tell me before?!"

"Dad!" I tried to talk him out of it, "Even Zeke agrees that that is a bad idea! Mom loves uncle and aunt! They'd lose contact if she found out! We have to approach this situation cautiously!"

"Then what do you want to do?" Dad narrowed his eyes at us.

"I-I became the president of my club today!" I tried to get him to understand me, "You can confirm from the office! My club is opposing the club Isabel is an executive member of! If we win this fight, we can get our revenge and she'll never bother Zeke again!"

"And you expect Zeke to just sit tight and wait and suffer Isabel's harsh words while you make an attempt to bring your cousin down when that attempt isn't even guaranteed to succeed. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of you for becoming the president of a club but I don't think that it's right of us to expect Zeke, someone who is sensitive to even constructive criticism, to listen to harsh insults from his younger cousin over things that he could never control. Besides, having an adoptive mother isn't wrong."

"I don't think that Zeke will be happy if you tell Mom and she breaks contacts with uncle bit by bit. You know how sensitive he is so you must know that he would think that it was his fault for causing a rift between family and friends. Besides, we can't exactly get back to her for all that she's said and done so far. For what she said to Mikasa...."