32. Bodyguard

Reader's POV

"Mmmmphhhh!" Eren struggled with my hand over his mouth, trying to shush him.

"Shh. Do you want to wake everyone up?"

"What the fuck are you doing in my room in the middle of the fucking night?" Eren couldn't see me because the lights were off but he recognised my voice.

"Move over," I commanded, "I'm sleeping here."

"No, you're not. Go back to your room."

"Move over or I'll break your arm."

"You can't keep threatening me like this! Why do you need to sleep here in the first place?"

"Today, I picked a fight with a serial killer. I'm scared to sleep alone so I'm staying here," I lied. Eren knew the truth as well as I did and the real reason was hidden in my words. I was scared, but not for myself so I stayed there. I had this unreasonable paranoia that I had to satisfy no matter what so I was just doing as it said, sleeping next to my brothers like some sort of bodyguard when I knew that he wouldn't hurt his high school friend's kids. I only hid the truth in between my words because I knew Eren and I knew that he would throw a tantrum if I said the words that I wanted to protect him, out loud.

He would respond with a 'I'm not your little brother or your kid!' and I would respond with a 'Because you're my older brother! And age doesn't matter' and the conversation would lead nowhere and wake up Mom and Dad because of the yelling.

Eren grunted as he moved over in his bed to make room for me, "Why didn't you go to Zeke, then?"

"I'm here, too," A sleepy voice behind me answered as Eren jumped out of his skin.

"Jesus Christ! What the fuck?! What the hell are you doing here?!"

"She dragged me here," Zeke responded simply.

"Ugh," Eren moved to the opposite corner of the bed as I laid down and then Zeke did after me so I was in the middle, the place I hated when I was younger because I couldn't reach the bottle of water on my bedside easily but now, I was fine with it because days like this weren't regular.

"Remember how we shared a room when we were little?" I spoke up, reminiscing.

"Mhm," Eren answered.

"Mom transferred us to one room so that we wouldn't mess up three different rooms and she wouldn't have to clean all of up but only one," Zeke reminisced with me, saying the actual reason we were all given one room to share when our house had more space.

"And how you both forced me to sleep in the middle because I was 'younger' and wouldn't need that much space to sleep," I chuckled.

"You were and are younger, though," Eren said, half asleep.

"Only by a minute and ten seconds!"

"But you did kick us away in your sleep though," Zeke laughed.

"I have fallen down the bed so many times because of you," Eren murmured.

Just like that, we talked for a while and then fell asleep talking. When I woke up in the morning, I saw Eren on my left, arms securing his legs as he tried to take the least amount of space possible as he laid without a blanket and shivered.

The blanket was all rolled around my body as I quickly unrolled it from my figure and threw it on him and panicked when I realized that Zeke wasn't on my right but calmed down when I saw him fallen on the floor and was relieved to know that Kenny Ackerman hadn't kidnapped him.

I lightly slapped Zeke on the cheek to wake him up and get him up from the floor as he grunted unhappily, complaining that he should have just stayed in his bed if he was going to be kicked down anyway.