Chapter 32

Isaac plotted his next move

The night couldn't get any worse. First, Finn basically admits to his love for Emily. Both of us ending the night with harsh words to one another. Now Isaac and I were standing in front of a 'crazed' man.

The crazed man didn't scare Isaac at all, but for me I was surprisingly shaking. Even after going through so much, this nervousness always came back, once in a blue moon. We stood so close to this man. The man who's left eye was a deep red-almost black- with no pupil. The right eye only a socket. There was a hole where his eye would have been. It seemed to have bled out and dried up.

A shot right in the middle of his head too. Someone had tried to kill him, but he survived it. That was going on in my head over and over again- How did he survive? How? How?!

I wondered if Isaac was thinking the same thing.

  "How?" I whisper, somehow feeling scared that the crazed could hear the fear in my voice.

  "I— I don't understand," Isaac stutters. I've never seen him stutter like this before, or be this confused for a whole year that I've known him. His grip on my wrist tightens. He had me tucked away behind him. The crazed' was slow to speed.

   It moved closer toward us. I could hear Isaac's breathing deepen as we both tried to understand what could possibly kill this 'crazed' if the former tempt of whoever else had tried, failed. I wondered if the former person that aimed to kill it, died doing so.

    "Should I call to the others?" I asked but Isaac shook his head no. As he focused on the 'crazed,' the grip of his hand on my wrist began to loosen. I wiggle out of Isaac's hold and grab the chair we sat on earlier and chuck it at the man. He tumbled down the steps. We waste zero time to run inside and lock the net door. We keep the main door open, for a visible eye on the 'crazed'.

"I need to find my gun," Isaac walked up the stairs, looking down my way,  past me toward the dead man struggling to get up. His body had twisted when he fell down the stairs, an intolerable noise of cracking bones as he pulled to straighten his body. He slowly made his way toward the house again.

"Go get it! I'll keep an eye out!" My voice startles Isaac from being zoned out- his focus on the man. Isaac quickly climbed up the stairs to his room. It was unbelievable to both of us how messed up this crazed had gotten, yet he kept getting back up. He was strong. Super strong. Stronger than we had seen them yet.

The worst that could happen if I tried to kill it myself, is that I get bit. However, instead of turning into one of them I would just bleed out. I was lucky. I was lucky being immune because at least I could get help if the worst was bleeding out.

The agony of being half dead and half alive when turning into a monster is something I could not imagine going through. All the people that turned; my sister, Noah, or this crazed man in front of me - they all had their life vanish before their eyes. Slowly fading to become a walking zombie.