Chapter 30

Driving back to the house was quiet

Driving back to the house was quiet. One where you enjoy the company of the other person without speaking words to feel comfortable. Instead, both Isaac and I were admiring the view of the northern lights that still lit the sky.

It felt calmer than usual to be gifted of such beauty that blessed our eyes. It also blessed my mind. For Isaac to take me to that spectacular viewing of the city under the lights- it was an absolute treasure.

That was more than enough. Especially, in a world where one is left to feel everything less than they are.

The bumpy road made Damon's truck move up and down whenever it hit the uneven pavement. My stomach full of butterflies. It  reminded me of being  on a thrilling rollercoaster on a hot summer day. It was something we may never experience again; I took in.

"Thanks for taking me, Isaac." I thank him once more as my eyes still gazed at the starry night. Isaac didn't say anything back, but I could feel him smiling. Heck, I knew he was.

"There's somewhere else we're supposed to be. A party that Damon was talking about." Isaac says looking at me from the corner of his eyes.

Isaac's hair had been growing again ever since the tunnels. His dark hair shinier than ever. He even started growing some stubble on his face. He looked grown up. This world did age us faster than our love deprived childhoods ever did.

"He told Finn to meet us there. I'm sure Emily will be there too. Just saying," he adds almost hesitant to mention her name. He was scared of my reaction, as if her name made me feel like shit. It didn't. However, I missed Finn. I wondered if he was looking out at the lights as well tonight even if it would be with someone else.

"Were you told that she would come?" I ask, feeling an emotion I usually wouldn't feel. Fire burning inside me. Stopped it as fast as it ignited. I never felt jealous with Noah. Sure, Noah had friends that were girls, but he would make it known and felt that I was it for him. Maybe it was the way that Finn didn't kiss me goodbye- eager to leave with her.