Chapter 19

It had been an hour or so, honestly I couldn't tell how long it had been and the mucky smell in the tunnels did not help at all

It had been an hour or so, honestly I couldn't tell how long it had been and the mucky smell in the tunnels did not help at all. We were still moving in a line, still on our way to the bunker.

Besides the fact that it started to smell like roadkill, as we got deeper and deeper into these tunnels, the other difference between now and then is that it's nearly silent now. I turned around slightly to see if anyone else was thinking the same thing, or at least making the same faces that I was toward the stench. This was giving me an even worse headache than the one I had before. My mind is what's going to kill me before anything or anyone else does.

I shake my head at myself, trying to avoid the reoccurring thought that Finn and the others are probably dead from the last blast we all heard.

Finn is gone.

Finn is gone.

Shut up. Fuck!

I'm sure everyone could notice how antsy I was, I couldn't stop fidgeting with my hands or looking around for no reason other than to avoid being with my thoughts. These tunnels were too quiet for me to be left alone in them right now, even with thousands of people around.

"Hey, buddy" I kneel in front of a little boy, my knees digging into the wet, muddy ground. Anything to avoid thinking. His mom's eyes go wide, scared, she gives me a horrible glare as I look up at her and then back down at her son.

The little boy had on a beige fisherman hat, with a picture of a blue boat on it. Something he probably wore when he went fishing with his dad, I thought to myself. He was little. He seemed to be about six years old.

"Hi," he whispers softly to me, rubbing the back of his right ear lobe.

"It smells bad here, doesn't it?" I ask him. He nods his head, in agreement. I'm losing my fuckin mind.

"Uh--" I look around to find a stick on the ground.

"Here! We can play a game. Um, one of us draws a picture and the other guesses what is being drawn, okay?" His mom gives me an exhausting smile. I remember her and the boy crying because they also had someone who got left behind.

"What's your name?" I smile at him, fixing up his hat.

"Ish Matt," he says with a tiny giggle, and a lisp.

His mom puts her hand on my shoulder as I try to stand still. My headache was getting worse, like I had been hit by a truck, several times. Not like I know what that's like. I scratch the back of my neck, taking a deep breath, rubbing onto my temples, hoping that it would help.

Fuck, it smells.

My legs start to wobble. The little boy tugs at my shirt as he tells his mom to hold onto me. Their voices becoming afar, even though they were standing right next to me. I feel a few more hands, gripping onto my body, and a few gasps. My mouth is dry, making it hard to swallow and everything goes pitch black.