Chapter 12

The hunters form a line, marching just like the guards were the first day I had seen when we entered through the gates of The Fort. I felt uncomfortable and awkward doing a march, whereas behind me, Damon looked like a natural. 

"Don't try anything stupid," I whispered back to him.

"What if it's an accident?" I could feel that he was grinning even when I couldn't see his face, I let out a quiet laugh.

"Don't fuck shit up, Damon." He shushes me, "I won't." 

All the guards come marching alongside us, going toward the opposite direction. I had noticed a familiar face. Damon nudges me, because he had also noticed. It was Isaac. 

"Isaac!" I shout loud, getting out the line, running toward him. His hair was cut, short now. I could see the scar on his forehead and all the other bruises on his face that the guards let on him. His head hung low. 

"You got to get away from me, Millie. For now." He mumbles. 

The guards point their guns at me, but I didn't care.

"We are on duty, miss. Head back to your group." A voice yells back from behind the line of guards, walking up to us. 

"Put the guns down. Back to your line. Now." Finn's voice made me startle, and I looked at him, shaking my head. Just moments ago Finn and I kissed and now he was acting like he didn't know me like that. 

"You are a  sick bastard." I say being inches away from Finn's face, but he just ignores my comment and goes back to the spot, joining his group. 

------------------------------

"You would've been killed right then and there, smart ass," Damon chuckles, biting on an apple we picked from the tree.

I carried my basket which was almost full, picking apples from the same tree that Damon sat under, eating his batch. 

"So, this is our life now," I say, smacking the apple at the tree trunk. 

"No wasting food. Every piece counts."  The head hunter, George says glaring at me. I roll my eyes at him, that he hated but ignored anyway. 

Damon relaxes himself, stretching now, "That was fuckin delicious." I laugh, hitting his arm gently. 

"Dead zone," George says making everyone pull their weapons up. Damon and I looked at each before I help Damon up and we hold our weapons out as well. 

I had a huge crossbow and Damon had a rifle. This part of the forest was green, even though they called it the 'dead zone'. 

"Dead zone, my roommate said is where the 'crazed' are, so you ought to look out, Mill." I let out a sigh.

"Sorry for callin' you Mill." 

I shrug at him, "I don't care. Go ahead, call me that." 

"Cool." Damon smiles at me, and I shared a quick smile back, only to focus back onto the woods. 

"Watch out!" One of the hunter calls out. I turn around to see a man jump out from a tree and onto Damon.

"Shoot him, Damon!" I yell. I was horrified. I can't lose another friend. George goes up to the man, knifing him in the stomach, but the man didn't feel a thing. The 'crazed' cuts George on his chest. 

"What are you watching?! Get him!" George shouts out at us, in pain. I froze up, not knowing what to do. I get my cross out, putting the arrow in its place, pulling the string back and shooting it toward the 'crazed', only to miss.