Chapter 11

Noah and I sat on a park bench, with a basket full of fruits and sandwiches. We also had some wine and apple juice. Noah sat in front of me smiling at me the entire time as I looked over at the pond. The ducks quacked and were following each other. It was a family of them. Noah took my hand, squeezing it gently. I look at him and smile back. "I want to have a family too one day." I grin. "Noah, we're only seventeen."

He comes over around the bench and sits beside me, his hand on my thigh. He caresses my cheek with his finger, leaning closer to me until our lips meet.

"I want to be with you for a long time, Millie. I know we're only seventeen but fuck that. I see a future with you. You know I love you."

I smile, pulling him closer to me as we continue to kiss.

--------------------
3 months later

"You ready?" Finn says, making me flinch.

"Yeah. I'm ready to get out this room." He gives me a small smile and quickly goes back to his stern look.

"You were lost in thought. I did not want to interrupt so I stood here waiting. Let's go now." He grabs his rifle and puts a very heavy bag on his back.

Finn wore his bullet proof vest again with black joggers and a black jacket underneath. He had painted two lines on his forehead, which was also in black. This was the guards dress code. Finn told me that all the four communities of Fort Smith had their own dress codes to distinguish from one another.

We walk out the door of Finn's house. The air outside is refreshing. There is a big population here. All around people are walking with baskets of food, and hunters that carried dead meat to be prepared for supper.

Supper was held in a very large room for the entire community. Everyone came around nine to have supper together. Finn said it was to appreciate what we still have when others in the world may not have anymore. Also, it was meet and appreciate those who work outside the community to keep them safe and provide food.

Children ran around with their friends playing games. There are little markets around the community all with different things.

"You want to buy something?" Finn nudges my arm. I was looking over at the stand with jewelry.

"No. I'm good." I start walking off, until Finn grabs my arm, tugging me back.

"You must stay with me. You and I will both be in deep trouble if you do not follow. Now, come." He turns me back around leading me to the jewelry stand.

"Pick." He looks at me. I hesitate but put my hand on a necklace that has a pendant of a growing tree.

"The representation of life. Good choice." The lady hands it to him and gives us a warm smile.

"Turn around." I do as he says. Finn's arm come in front of my neck. For a second I get frightened, thinking it's a threat and he would pull a knife at my neck and this was it. But, Finn unties the necklace, setting it around my neck. I turn back around to face him.

"Looks good." Finn says tilting his head, giving it one last look.

"Thanks." He nods at me, walking in front.

"We are going to meet your friend."

"Who?" I ask him. My eyes light up with joy and excitement.

"The man who lost his grandmother."

"You mean, Isaac. That's his name. Where is he?"

"Kept in prison." I walk up to Finn, grabbing a tight hold on his wrist.