Chapter 31

"She's dead," Damon repeated what he had been saying on the entire route to his house; repeating the same words

"She's dead," Damon repeated what he had been saying on the entire route to his house; repeating the same words. He said it so many times, as many times as he could for it to make sense to him. We all sat silently. I sat at the front not knowing what to say to comfort him because I know that nothing will make any of it better. I know that better than anyone- besides distracting yourself. Distractions are good.

"She's fuckin dead!" We all flinch at him yell as he banged his fist onto the steering wheel, just as we reached his house. He didn't look back or even lock the car's door. Damon got out of his van quickly, his brows frowned tensely as the wrinkles on his forehead were vivid. He made his way to the house, into the big brown wooden door, slamming it shut.

"This is fucked," Finn finally spoke first among the rest of us.

"Poor Damon. Those people are animals. You were right Finn," Emily agreed with Finn. She laced her fingers into his hair, she gave him a slight smile. She knew Finn must've had flashbacks of his own family being killed. She knew him too well, it showed. She could bring that peace only I ever tried to, but I reminded him of the chaos rather than the peace.

"They are. I'm not surprised they did that-they killed my whole family," Finn's voice cracked every time his mouth said those words that mentioned his mom and sisters.

"Well, we shouldn't be out here too long. They're looking for Millie, which means they could come here too," Isaac barged into the conversation. He stood in the middle of the circle that Emily, Finn and I had unintentionally formed. Soon Isaac started to make his way up the porch as well.

"I have to drop Em off, Isaac," Finn said looking over at her. Emily was almost as tall as him. They could perfectly look into each other's eyes with no problem. She was perfect.

Gosh, Bec should be alive. Fuck.

She patted his arm, "no-no, my place isn't even far from here. I'm gonna be fine. Trust me," she said kissing his hand a few seconds after she waved us goodbye. She was sweet but I hated every minute of what happened in front of my eyes with the two. I felt distant from Finn ever since we got here. Ever since we met Emily at that gas station. It felt like ages since I had a conversation with Finn.

"Okay, let's go," Isaac said again looking around worried. He knew that the party was a bad idea the minute we got there. He waved at me to hurry and get inside the house. He was right. It was my face on that poster. It was me who was supposed to die. Not Bec. Damon probably hated me.

Finn followed behind me, "I didn't know you were coming to that party." He caught up. I noticed that Isaac shook his head from the corner of my eyes. How could he not know? He was standing there with Isaac at that party- the person I came with.