In The Midst of The End

I had lost the group. Honestly, calling it a group was a stretch from what it really was now- barely anyone left in it.

The light of the moon beamed down onto my trembling body and sweaty forehead. The moon was giving me away from being hidden.

The betrayal nature had on me felt bitter. After all, we are killing Her. We are the real killers of mother nature who let us call this planet our home. At least that's what Isaac always says.

This is definitely a way of Her telling us to fuck off forever. Nature's tired of us. Getting rid of us was the Earth's way of survival and feeling of being free from all the pain we cause.

She was protecting herself. Showing us what she wanted us to open our eyes to using this chaos in Her games.

The Earth was displaying the way we act when in thirst for survival, freedom and losing oneself as well as others loved. Treating us the way we have been treating Her.

Something nature was yearning for this year. To survive and to heal. Something we only took but never gave back to Her. We humans have our selfish ways.

I was alone in these woods right now and last thing I remember was Isaac holding my hand when we escaped the gunshots.

"Stay here, Millie. I'll go see how far they are so we know where to camp out tonight. Just stay exactly right here so I can find you easily," he had said before he let go of my hand and snuck through the trees and bushes, scanning for the men. The shape of his body gradually fading into the fog amoung the shadows of the trees.

The shots still rung through my ears, almost as if they would last for a very long time.

In the silenced night, the hoot of the owl was the only sound just like the ticking of the clock in the bunker.

I could hear the leaves crackling, softly and quietly. Whoever it was, they were trying to avoid being heard.

The panting of my out of breath self was probably being heard too. I cover my own mouth making sure no words could escape and my breathing was hushed. It felt like a game of hide and seek except with no fun.

"Isaac?" I whisper because maybe the footsteps could be him looking for me rather than the men in the white hazmat suits. They had on huge respiratory masks and face shields. It was clear as the night sky that they were bad news. Especially since they seemed to only be after me.

The sound of the leaves crunching suddenly stop when a man appears in front of me. Of course I wouldn't be able to tell who was behind the suit and the mask.

"What do you want?" I didn't know who or what they were.

Was the government telling them to gather all of us around so that they could finally protect us? Or were these men just bad people who had found a way to get their hands on these suits and hide behind them?

When he pulls his gun out, I realized this wasn't to protect. His other hand comes out to motion me to walk toward him, peacefully.

"Isaac?!"

"Please don't move, miss," the feminine voice finally came out in a soft but stern tone. It was a woman.

"Isaac?!" I call out when figures start to appear from all corners of the area.Their bodies filled around me still lurking in the fog. Isaac was probably somewhere far and I wouldn't get his help. Not this time.