THIRTY FOUR

(CHAPTER 34 - HAT TRICK)

🦢🗡

Jefferson opened a door and shoved Elias and Emma into a room where the walls were lined with different top hats.

"I don't know what you think you're doing, but if you hurt our friend, I swear we'll make you regret it," Emma said.

"Regret it? I'm saving her life," Jefferson said.

"How do you figure that?" Elias asked.

"Don't play stupid. We both know what happens when people try to leave Storybrooke," Jefferson said.

"What are you talking about?" Elias asked.

"The curse," Jefferson said.

"What curse?" The twins asked.

"The one keeping us all trapped. All except the two of you," Jefferson said.

"Have you been reading Henry's book?" Emma asked.

"Henry? You mean the Queen's father?" Jefferson questioned.

"Henry, the Mayor's adopted kid," Elias said.

"Oh, Henry. Your Henry...and his book of stories, the ones that the two of you choose to ignore. Maybe if you knew what I know, you both wouldn't," Jefferson said.

"Why have you been spying on us?" Elias asked.

Jefferson moved about the room, pointing his gun at Elias' head from behind briefly, before lowering it, "Because for the last 28 years, I've been stuck in this house, day after day, always the same. Until one night, you two, in that little yellow Bug, roll into town, and the clock ticks and things start to change. You see...I know what you two refuse to acknowledge, Elias, Emma. You're both special. You two brought something precious to Storybrooke...magic," Jefferson said.

"You're insane," Elias said.

"Because I speak the truth?" Jefferson asked.

"Because you're talking about magic," Emma said.

"I'm talking about what I've seen. Perhaps, you're the ones that are mad," Jefferson said.

"Really?" The twins asked.

"What's crazier than seeing and not believing? Because that's exactly what the two of you have been doing since you both got to our little hamlet," he stood in front of the twins, inches from their faces, "Open your eyes. Look around. Wake up. Isn't it about time?" Jefferson said.

"What do you want?" Elias asked as he put his arm in front of Emma.

"I want you two to get it to work," Jefferson said told them and shoved them into chairs.

"You want us to get what to work?" Emma asked, confused as they looked at a top hat on the table in front of them.

"You're the only ones that can do this. You're both gonna get it to work," Jefferson said.

Flashback

After Jefferson and the Evil Queen went through the hat, they ended up in a room with several colorful doors lining the walls.

The two of them began to cross the room, "I forgot how magnificent you are," The Evil Queen said.

"I'm not here to relive the past. I'm here for my daughter," they approached the Looking Glass door, "Here. This is the entrance. It's important that we stick together. Same amount of people that go through have to come back. No more, no less. It's the hat's rule, not mine," Jefferson said.