FORTY

(CHAPTER 40 - THE STRANGER)

🦢🗡

The twins were in the pawnshop and Elias was talking to Mr Gold, while Emma held back.

"I have to save him. I have to get Henry away from Regina," Elias said.

"I must admit, your intentions are admirable. However, I won't be taking your case," Mr Gold said.

"What? You know what Regina did!" Elias said.

"Yes, but we can't prove it. And given the Mayor's sway in this town, any proceedings against her would be long, drawn-out, and futile. The only certainty is Henry would suffer," Mr Gold gave him a grim look, "Can't do that to your boy," Mr Gold said.

"So we leave him in the same house with that sociopath?" Elias asked.

"I'm sorry, Sheriff, my mind's made up," Mr Gold said.

"Well then, change it! The only person I've seen go head-to-head with Regina and win is you," Elias said.

"That's because I know how to pick my battles," Mr Gold said.

"Then pick this one!" Elias said.

"I'm sorry. I'm afraid I'm simply not the man to help you beat Mayor Mills," Mr Gold said.

"No, he's not," Elias turned to Emma, "Come on," Emma said and walked out.

Elias looked at Mr Gold before following Emma, and Mr Gold smirked in satisfaction as the twins left.

----------<3----------

Emma led Elias into the Bed and Breakfast, and towards Athena and August's room.

"Why are we here?" Elias asked.

"Getting you help," Emma said and knocked on the door.

August opened the door, "Emma, Elias," August said.

"Hey," Emma said and pushed past August, pulling Elias in with her.

"Take it easy," August said as he shut the door.

Athena stood up and looked at them, "Is everything okay?" Athena asked.

"No, my brother is just about out of options," Emma said.

Elias looked at Emma, "No, I'm not," he looked at the other two and hesitated, "Help?" Elias said.

"Alright?" Athena and August said.

"You told us to beat Regina we had to see the big picture. Show it to us," Emma said.

----------<3----------

At the pet shelter, David had locked up the shelter when he noticed Regina trying to fix her car when she bumped her head on the hood.

David walked over to her, "Car trouble?" David asked.

"It won't start. A car full of groceries, and...well, it hasn't exactly been a banner day," Regina said.

"Now...well, let's see," David checked the dashboard then tried the ignition, but it wouldn't start, "The battery's dead," David said.

"What?" Regina asked.

David walked to her, "I don't have any jumper cables, but I can give you a ride home in my truck," David said.

"Oh, no, no...I...thank you, but I couldn't impose," Regina said.

"I insist. Unless you...wanna have a car full of melted Rocky Road," David said.