FORTY FOUR

(CHAPTER 44 - A LAND WITHOUT MAGIC)

🦢🗡

Outside the boarded up clock tower, Elias, Emma and Athena were waiting for Regina. The twins had their swords and Athena looked at them, "Where'd you get the swords?" Athena asked.

"Mr Gold," Emma said.

"Rumplestiltskin uses swords?" Athena questioned.

"Well, they were...our father's," Elias said.

"Ah," Athena said with a nod.

Regina walked up to them, seeing Athena, "What are you doing here?" Regina asked.

Athena looked at her, "Oh, Your Majesty. Pleasure to see you again," Athena said.

"Again?" Athena just looked at her, "Hansel and Gretel's sister," Regina said in realization.

"Well, adopted sister. I'm actually their aunt," Athena gestured between the twins, "And David's sister," Athena said.

"Of course you are," Regina said before she walked to the door, unlocked it and they all walked inside.

Elias looked around, seeing multiple bookshelves, "What is this place?" Elias asked.

"Would you like a tour, or shall we just get to it?" Regina asked.

"Lead the way," Emma said.

Regina walked to one of the walls, placed her hand on it, the wall raised, revealing an elevator and the door opened.

"Whoa," The twins said.

"Get in," Regina said.

"After you," Elias said.

"It's a two-man job, the elevator's hand-operated. I...or I guess now, we," Regina gestured between herself and Athena, "Have to stay up here and lower you both down," Regina said.

"And we're just supposed to trust you? Athena, I get but you?" Emma asked.

"I don't think you two have much choice in the matter," Regina said.

"Don't worry. I'll watch her," Regina looked at Athena, who looked at her, "If she tries anything, I'll shove her down the elevator shaft," Athena said.

"This battle we're supposed to fight...who is it? What is down there?" Elias asked.

"An old friend," Regina said.

"Then why don't you go talk to them?" Emma asked.

"Because her punishment here was different than everyone else's. I trapped her...in a different form," the twins looked at her confused, "She doesn't wanna hear from me. You two have to trust me on that," Regina said.

"Okay, we'll go down there. But let's be clear about something...Your Majesty. The only reason you're not dead is because we need your help to save Henry. If he dies...so do you," Elias said.

"Well, then let's get on with it. Now, this is what you're both going to have to do," Regina said.

The twins entered the elevator and they were lowered down the elevator shaft.

Flashback

At the Forbidden Fortress, Maleficent ascended some stairs and sat on her throne, when Prince Charming ambushed her from behind and placed his sword against her throat, which was the same sword that Elias had chosen to use.

"Where is it? Where is the beast that reigns over this castle?" Prince Charming asked.

Maleficent looked at him and waved her hand, knocking Prince Charming back with her magic, "That would be me," she stood up and descended the steps towards Prince Charming, "But beast is so harsh. I prefer Maleficent," Maleficent said.