The World Is Watching

Los Angeles, California

Bobbi was making dinner for herself when her phone rang. She saw an unknown number and reluctantly answered it.

Bobbi: Hello?

???: (on the phone) Barbara Morse?

Bobbi: Uh, I prefer to go by Bobbi, but yeah. Who is this?

Karli: (on the phone) My name is Karli Morgenthau.

Bobbi immediately recognized that name.

Bobbi: Hey, Karli. I've seen you on the news.

Karli: (on the phone) That's good to hear. I hope you love the work I'm doing.

Bobbi: (scoffs) "Love" isn't exactly the word I would use.

Karli: (on the phone) You've toppled regimes before. I thought you might like it.

Bobbi: Is that why you're calling me?

Karli: (on the phone) No. Actually, I'm thinking about what to do about your fiancé.

This caught Bobbi by surprise.

Bobbi: Really?

Karli: (on the phone) I thought I could trust him. I assumed we had some things in common, but it turns out he's working for the new Captain America.

Bobbi: Oh, Aaron hates that guy. We didn't choose him.

Karli: (on the phone) And who would you have chosen?

Bobbi: The man Steve Rogers actually chose as his successor, Sam Wilson.

Karli: (on the phone) Really? I suppose he would've been better...

Bobbi: Why are you calling me? Did you just want to discuss my opinion on this?

Karli: (on the phone) I want Aaron to stop. I want him to stand down, or else...

Bobbi: Or else what? You do realize who you're talking to, right?

Bobbi thought that Karli was going to give her the whole "I'll come for you and everyone you care about" talk which became all too predictable.

Karli: (on the phone) Oh, I know. Mockingbird. Spy. Avenger. Fiancée. I was going to say "or else I'll kill him."

Bobbi didn't respond as Karli kept speaking.

Karli: (on the phone) I don't want to hurt him. He's actually one of the reasons why I'm doing this. He inspired me to fight for those who can't. But I will do what I have to do. Sure, he gave me a bit of trouble the first time we fought, but he got lucky that time. He won't be so lucky again. He's just one person without his speed and there's plenty of Super Soldiers with me. He'll be unmatched and eventually, he'll get put in the dirt. Just like his friend, Pietro Maximoff. You'll live the rest of your life with a broken heart. I just thought you should know.

Bobbi began laughing.

Karli: (on the phone) What's so funny?

Bobbi: Oh, Karli. You really think this is the first time Aaron and I have been on the receiving end of a threat like that? When Aaron finds out you called me...and make no mistake, he will know whether I tell him or not...you'll live to regret it.

Karli: (on the phone) Oh, you're threatening me?

Bobbi: I'm promising you, there's a difference.