One Year Later

It had been one year to the day that Adam returned, she thought as she saw the date. So much had changed in 365 days, they moved out of her parents house, Adam was finally cleared for full duty, his outbursts a thing of the past.

Things had become 'normal' again, little Adam's third birthday just a few weeks away, he was a carbon copy of his daddy, the two inseparable.

As she sat at her desk she couldn't help but smile, life was great.

"Hey Ruzek, Commander has the promotion list" he said "you want a sneak peek?" Sam Hayden asked on the way to his office.

Kim liked Sam Hayden he was a good guy "ugh, I want to but I can't" she said "Adam tried to play it off last time when he wasn't promoted, but I know he was disappointed" at that time he was still dealing with the aftermath of the warehouse explosion.

"You sure?" He asked again waving the file in her direction.

Kim snatched it from him "give it to me,Hayden"she laughed, she opened and scanned the list of names, looking for her husband's name smiling when she found it "P.O. Adam Ruzek promoted to Detective first grade, effective immediately" she read aloud.

"I knew you would want to read it, you really need to start listening to me the first time I tell you something" he sat on her desk and pulled an envelope addressed to Adam from his jacket pocket "these usually go out using inter-office mail, but Commander thought you would want to deliver this one" he smiled handing it to her "I'm happy for him, Kim he deserves this"

Kim hurried over to the 21st hoping they hadn't caught a case, she greeted Platt as she walked "Adam still upstairs?"

"He is, oh Mouch and I will be at my favorite Ruzek's birthday bash, we can't wait" Platt told her as she buzzed Kim upstairs.

"Man, it's dead today, I'm bored out of my mind" Adam said as tossed another balled up paper in the trash can.

"Ruzek, do you ever stop whining" Jay asked.

"No, he doesn't, I don't know who is worse him or little Adam" Kim teased, she walked over to Adam hugging him "hey, how are you?"

"Better, with you here" he replied kissing her, "what's up?"

"I have some mail to deliver" she told him pulling the envelope out and handing it to him.

Adam took the envelope and sat down in his chair staring at it.

"Ruzek, you going to open it or stare at it?" Dawson asked.

Adam looked at Kim, and shrugged his shoulders "well, if I don't open it I can't be disappointed" he said.

"Quit being a baby, and open it kid" Voight told him already knowing about Adam's promotion having pushed hard for it, he was proud of Adam and all he had overcome.

Adam carefully opened the envelope, he pulled the letter out and read it "hell, yes!" He said picking Kim up and kissing her.

"Congratulations babe" she said when they parted "Detective Ruzek, I like the way that sounds"

"I love the way you make it sound" Adam replied.

"You two trying to make us puke?" Jay asked "congratulations, Ruzek" he said shaking his hand, the others following suit.

"Adam, I'm proud of you kid, I knew this would happen" Al said "I knew you had it in you from the day I plucked you from the academy" he told him hugging him.

"Drinks, tonight at Molly's on me" Adam called out to the group "well, a few of them on me, I've seen this group drink and I don't have that kind of money"

"I have to get back to the tower, but I will see you later Detective Ruzek" Kim winked on her way down the stairs.

"Count on it, darlin" he said smiling.

AUTHORS NOTE
This is the sequel to "Forever" so please read that first if you haven't already. I'm still in the process of planning this story, but I had this chapter already set and wanted to post it ASAP.

Hopefully a title will come to me soon.

Thanks again for reading.