Chapter 25

Jay sat at the table staring at his coffee, trying to get the courage to talk to Hank about marrying Erin.

"Hey babe" Erin said as she joined him at the table, "Jay, you with me?" She asked when he didn't acknowledge her.

"Huh, you say something" he said his eyes meeting hers.

"What's wrong with you Halstead, you're white as a sheet" she told him "are you sick?"

"Nah, I'm fine, I'm gonna head to the gym, see you at the 21" he said quickly kissing the top of her head as he left.

"That was odd" Erin said out loud while she finished her coffee.

Voight was at his desk when Jay arrived "Sargent, can I have a few minutes?" Jay barely recognized his own voice.

"What's up Halstead, why do you look like you're going to toss your cookies?" Voight teased him, the kid having grown on him and he made Erin happier than he had ever seen, so Jay was good in his books, though he wasn't going to let Jay know that.

Jay sat in the chair opposite Hank "listen, sir" he started "I know you aren't Erin's dad, but you're the closet thing she has to one and she loves you just like a dad" with each word he spoke it became easier "anyway, I love Erin and well, I want to spend the rest of my life with her" he paused trying to gauge Hank's reaction "what I'm asking is do I have your blessing to ask her to marry me" he finished letting out a deep breath.

Hank sat forward in his chair, elbows resting on the desk, he was going to have a little fun at Jay's expense. "Are you serious, right now Halstead?" He asked watching the color drain from his face "what are you thinking kid, just because I said I was okay with you dating her" he tried to continue but the pained look on Jay's face took the fun out of it. He stood from his chair and approached Jay who stood up "come here kid" he said as he pulled him in for a hug "you absolutely have my permission, not that you needed but I respect you for asking"

"Will you be alright with me at work today?" Adam asked Kim as he sat down opposite little Adam "hey boy"

"Adam I'll be fine, my mom will be over soon, try not to worry so much" she told him, secretly she was glad he was going back to work she felt like he was suffocating her.

"Please call me if you need anything" he said "later gator" he said to Adam, and kissed Liam who was sleeping in the swing "I love you" he whispered in Kim's ear as he kissed her.

"Hey look it's Mr.Mom" Antonio said when Adam sat at his desk.

"Dawson, you're a funny guy, you know that?" Adam shot back, thankful to be back at work, he loved his boys but they were a lot of work.

"Where's Al, he isn't here yet?" Adam asked looking for his partner.

"I'm here" Al said as he came from the break room "nice to see you've joined us kid, I was beginning to think I needed to start looking for a new partner"

"That would never happen Al, you can't get rid of me that easy" Adam said "so, what do,we have going on today?"

"Nothing, it's dead, catch up on paperwork and check in with CIs, work a half day unless something falls in our lap" Voight told the group "welcome back Ruzek"

"Adam, c'mon son it's time to get dressed" Kim pleaded with the him, he wasn't budging from in front of the television, Liam starting to cry. She wanted to scream, "little man, let's get dressed and we can go play at the park" hoping that would motivate the little boy.

"Daddy coming too?" Adam asked, since she had come home from the hospital he had only wanted Adam, for everything.

"You know daddy is at work, but we will have fun" she told him as she gave Liam his pacifier and he settled down, she was thankful that she was good enough for Liam. Adam tried to tell her she was being silly, but she wanted to cry every time little Adam rejected her.

Adam finally got dressed after being bribed with ice cream and a visit to the district to see his daddy after the park, when they got to the park Adam took off for the swings, Kim sat on the bench with her iPad, using her foot to push Liam's stroller back and forth rocking him to sleep.

Kim was reading when she heard a blood curdling scream which she recognized as her son's cry, she quickly scanned the playground for him and found him lying in the sand underneath the monkey bars, she raced to his side.

"Baby, what hurts?" She asked him, his big brown eyes filled with tears he turned over on to his side and she saw exactly what hurt.

She pulled her phone out and called 911, they had walked to the park so she knew this was quicker, she told the dispatcher to contact Adam at the 21st.

Trudy raced upstairs "ADAM!" She yelled "Adam, where's Adam?" She asked Alvin when she didn't see him at his desk.

Adam rounded the corner "what the hell, who is yelling my name?" He asked confused, he saw Trudy standing by his desk and he was instantly concerned. "Sarge, what's up?"

"Adam, I just got off the phone with a dispatcher from the 911 center, Kim had taken the boys to the park and Adam's been hurt, he's en route to Chicago Med, I don't know what's wrong with him, they didn't say" she explained, she was worried for the little boy.

Adam stood shocked for a minute "I gotta go" he said grabbing his keys, Jay stopped him.

"I'll take you" he said, not wanting Adam to drive.

"Damn it Jay, hurry up!" Adam snapped, he tried calling Kim but it went straight to voicemail "please be okay" he said to himself.

Jay flew into the parking lot lights and sirens on, the car had barely come to stop when Adam jumped out.

He ran up to the triage window "I'm here to see my son Adam Ruzek, he was brought in by ambulance" he told the nurse who seemed occupied, Adam slammed his hand on the counter and pulled his badge out "lady, I'm CPD, you have time for me now? My son Adam Ruzek, where is he?" He snapped.

"One second, sir, I'm sorry let me check" she said as she typed the information into the computer "it will be just a minute, someone will come and take you back, please have a seat" she told him, Jay could see Adam's frustration mounting.

"Never-mind lady, we will see ourselves in" Jay said as he flashed his badge and the security guard activated the door for them.

"Kim, where are you?" Adam called out as he didn't know what room his son was in, his heart racing.

Kim hear Adam and quickly stepped into the hallway "here Adam" she called, running into his arms "I'm so sorry, I should have been watching him better" Jay taking Liam from the stroller.

"What happened?" Adam asked as he wiped the tears from her face "where is Adam now?"