Chapter 19

"Thanks again Al" Adam said as he and Al got out of the car, James and Elaine's house filled with police officers from all over Chicago.

"Adam" Terry Simpson called out "I missed you at the cemetery, it was beautiful son, your dad would have loved it" he hugged his best friend's son. "I'm sure you know this, but he loved your more than anything Adam, everything he did he did with you in mind"

"Thanks Uncle Terry" Adam said followed by a quiet laugh "I haven't called you that since I was like 15"

"Your dad was so proud when you decided to become a police officer, man you should have heard him brag when Olinsky pulled you from the academy" Terry told him "sure he wasn't thrilled you working for Voight but damn he was so proud"

They went inside, Adam feeling overwhelmed with all the different people in attendance, a good portion of them he didn't know.

"Darlin'," he wrapped Kim in a hug "how are you doing?" He asked her, feeling guilty that he left her to deal with such a large group.

"I'm hanging in" she said "I found something out that will make you laugh" she teased, Trudy sharing a story with her earlier.

"I could really use a laugh" he said as he sat in the chair pulling her into his lap "tell me"

"Nope, you want to know go find Trudy, she'll have to tell you" Kim laughed and kissed him.

Trudy was watching Adam play with his fire trucks "hey mister man, you need some patrol cars, Aunt Trudy will buy some" she told the little boy.

"Hey boy, are you having fun with Aunt Trudy" Adam asked his son as he sat on the floor beside him, taking a truck "can I have the engine"

"Daddy, that's not the engine, that's the truck" Adam corrected his daddy.

"Sorry boy"

"Special sauce, why doesn't this little boy have patrol cars to play with, he's the son of cops he needs patrol cars" Trudy told him, Adam unable to decide if she was kidding or not.

"So, my wife she tells me you have a funny story about my dad" Adam told her "she wouldn't tell me, said I had to ask you"

"Oh boy" Trudy felt her cheeks turn Crimson "Kim's got a big mouth you know"

"Tell me something I don't know" Adam teased

"Ok, so back in the day your dad and I dated" she blurted out, she was curious if Adam remembered she had met him a few times when he was a little boy about 8 or 9 "Adam, your dad was a great man, we used to go the disco and boy could Bob Ruzek dance" she smiled at the memory "that's how he earned the nickname Disco Bob, I gave it to him" she was always giving out nicknames.

Adam was shocked "get outta here?"

"Yes, seriously" she said returning one of Adam's toys to him "I even met you once or twice, you must have been 8 or 9 years old, a cute kid too, though I'm not sure what happened"

"I'm blown away, did it not work out?" Adam asked, he couldn't remember meeting her as a kid.

"Nothing really the timing wasn't right, but we ended on good terms, he loved you Adam, a lot" she said placing her hand on his shoulder "he was proud of you"

Later that night after everyone had left, little Adam had fallen asleep "Kim, honey let him stay the night, you and Adam go home and try to get some sleep" Elaine said both her daughter and son in law looked sleep deprived.

"Are you sure?" Kim asked

"Yes, and daddy said for you to take his truck home" Elaine told her.

"Ok, thanks Mom"

Once at home they sat outside, it wasn't very warm but Adam enjoyed the fresh air.

"Kim, my dad, he really loved you" Adam told her "he was always telling me how much he loved you" he said as Kim leaned into his embrace.

"I loved him too, for many reasons, mostly for how he raised you" Kim explained "you are an amazing husband and an even better daddy"

"Have you eaten?" Adam asked his hand resting on her belly, "remember you are eating for two" he smiled, it was bittersweet as he knew his second son wouldn't know his dad like little Adam did.

"My mother made sure I ate, you need to eat too you know" she said standing up "let me make you a sandwich or something"

"Alright, let's go inside"

-----------------------MAY-------------------------------------

Kim was ready to pop, things had calmed down almost back to normal for the Ruzek clan.

Elaine was over to help get the baby's nursery together "Kim, sweetie does this baby have a name yet?" she asked

"Ugh, don't ask" Kim said frustrated "if you ask little Adam his name should be Rubble a little dog from some show he likes, and your son in law wants to name him after a hockey player Patrick something" she laughed as she put onesies in the drawer "I don't know what we will call him, though he's got a middle name already"

"Well, what's his middle name?" She asked her as he put the crib sheet on.

"His middle name is Jay, after Jay Halstead, you remember him, right?" Kim asked her.

"Of course, we do he saved you and the little baby you're carrying" she smiled "why not have Jay be his first name?"

"Funny enough Jay actually suggested that, but we can't take that from him if he ends up having children of his own" Kim explained.

"You two better get it together, little one will be here soon" Elaine said as she finished getting the crib ready for her grandson's arrival.

"Hey Ruzek, you have the Baker and Sons file still?" Antonio called out from his desk "I need to cross reference something in this new case we picked up" it wasn't a major case but a bunch of jewelry stores getting robbed.

"Yea, just a second" he said as he slid his chair over and went through the stack of folders, still catching up on paperwork "here it is" he said as he handed it over.

"How's Kim feeling, little guy should be here any day now, right?" Antonio asked as he glanced over the reports.

"Yea, she's done" he laughed "she said she feels like a whale, her words not mine" he was excited but it was bittersweet "Adam is really excited, I am too just wish my dad was here, you know"