Chapter 23

"I can't take him on my own" Adam said shortly after Liam's discharge paperwork was dropped off.

"You can too, Adam" Kim sighed wishing she was going home with her son, a new day not bringing her much relief from her headache, the doctors thinking it may have been brought on by the epidural. "My mom said she would help out if you want, I'm sorry I'm stuck here"

"It's not your fault, Kim, hopefully it will just be another day or two" he was hopeful that was all it would be, he didn't think he could handle Liam and Adam on his own "I know what Adam needs, Liam on the other hand he's brand new"

"You won't break him, you're a great dad, you'll be fine" she told him "I will miss you" she said her eyes filling with tears.

Adam set the baby carrier down on the floor, Liam sound asleep in it "I will miss you too, so will the boys" he leaned down and kissed her, surprised when she deepened it. Breathless they parted "that was nice" Adam said with a smile, he picked Liam's seat up "I love you, I will be back first thing in the morning" he told her.

"Don't be afraid to call my mom, if you need her, give Adam a kiss from me" she said as he placed Liam's carrier close to her so she could say goodbye to him "be good for Daddy sweet baby" she kissed his hand. "Bye" she said softly, crying once Adam had walked out.

"Daddy, I want mommy, where is mommy?" Adam asked as they entered their house, he had been asking for Kim on the drive home from Elaine and James' house, "why is Liam here and not mommy?"

Adam groaned, the boy was relentless "mommy had to stay at the hospital, she's sick" he told Adam, hoping it would be the end of his interrogation.

"Mommy going to heaven too?" Adam asked his brow furrowed.

"No of course not Adam, Mommy just has a bad headache" never did he think his son would make that comparison, remembering how they explained his father's death to him, telling him he got sick.

"Poppy was sick and he went to heaven" the little boy reminded him.

"I know, boy, but Mommy isn't sick like Poppy was" he grabbed Adam and sat him in his lap "Mommy will be okay, I promise"

"You hungry boy?" He asked as he ordered a pizza

"Grandma gave me dinner" Adam said as he watched Liam lay in the pack and play "daddy, how come Liam doesn't have teeth?"

"He will,he just doesn't need them yet, you didn't have them when you were a baby" Adam said as he turned the television on and sat down on the floor beside Adam. "Aunt Trudy sent these for you" he said as he pulled out the three patrol cars.

Kim sat in the bed trying to get comfortable, really missing the boys and Adam.

"Up for visitors?" Erin asked from the doorway "how are you?" Al had called them after he left Adam to keep them and everyone in intelligence in the loop, she sent Jay to visit Adam and the kids.

"Yes, please!" Kim laughed "this sucks, being here while Adam is at home with the boys" she groaned.

"Well, I've sent Jay over if that helps" Erin laughed "though who knows how much of a help he'll be"

"He will occupy little Adam at the very least, he's great with kids Erin" Kim said "he will make a great father" she smiled "you'd make a great mom, too"

"Whoa, Kim let's not get ahead of ourselves" Erin said "we haven't even talked about marriage yet let alone having kids" she felt herself blushing and she wasn't quite sure why.

"Uh, hello, Adam and I never discussed it, it just kind of happened" she remembered realizing she was pregnant and how terrified she was of how Adam would react to the news.

"Jay and I are being careful" she teased "I don't think Voight is ready to be a grandpa yet, do you?"

"That would be amazing!" Kim replied "what are you trying to say anyway Adam and I weren't careful?" laughing at the thought "never mind, we weren't very careful, not my fault that man can't control himself around me"

"So, when do think they'll let you out?" Erin asked hoping it would be soon.

"I'm hoping within the next couple of days, they think the epidural caused my fever and the headaches" she said "the fever is gone and I'm hoping the headaches follow suit"

"Jay, man what's up?" Adam said when Jay appeared at the door, "come on in, Adam will be stoked you're here" noticing the pizza delivery guy coming up the walk way, handing the driver some cash and taking the pizza "you must of smelled the pizza, huh Halstead?"

"Nah, Erin gave me orders to report here, she went to see Kim" Jay said "you Ruzek's like to make things interesting, huh?" He joked "never a dull moment in the Ruzek house"

"I know right, but she's going to be ok, something to do with the epidural they gave her, I'm sure she is enjoying her visit with Erin" Adam said "I'm surprised she hasn't sent her mom over yet to check on me"

Liam started to cry, "hey I have to feed him, will you hang out with Adam?" He asked as he picked Liam up the newborn's face a bright red from crying.

"I got it you take care of him, that kid's got some lungs" Jay joked.

"Those he gets from Kim" Adam smiled as he went and warmed the bottle and walked to the nursery to feed him, just as he had with little Adam he started singing to him, unaware the monitor was on and Jay was listening from the living room,Liam settling as Adam sang.

"Hey little man, is that your daddy singing" Jay asked little Adam.

"Yea, he sings all the time" Adam said as he raced the patrol cars along the wooden floor .

"No way, Adam Ruzek is a singer!" Jay laughed to himself, he walked down the hall and stood outside of the nursery listening as Adam finished the song Liam obviously asleep and Adam placed him in the crib.

Turning around to leave Adam stopped in his tracks when he saw Jay smiling, dropping his head "shut up Halstead" he said smirking "let me guess the baby monitor, is hooked up"

"Yep, and man who knew you had the voice of an angel, really I'm impressed" Jay joked "do you perform at weddings?" he joked, it was safe to say he had weddings on his mind a lot, thinking about asking Erin to marry him.

"Don't tell anyone Jay, I mean it, I will kick your ass if you do" Adam teased.

"Seriously, that was nice" Jay said "hey can I ask your advice on something"

"Yea, anything man" Adam replied as he softly pulled the door closed and they both headed to the kitchen to eat.

"I'm going to ask Erin to marry me, but Hank Voight is a concern" Jay told him.

"He's okay with you guys I thought?"

"Dating yea, but marriage?" Jay explained "do I ask his permission? That scares the shit out of me man"

"I hear you, I asked Kim's dad and I was a nervous wreck, I can't imagine having to ask Voight, that takes balls, big ones" he joked "good luck Man"

"You're so helpful Ruzek" Jay told him as they sat down to eat.