Chapter 24

"Bzzzz, bzzzzzz" the phone slid across the night stand as it vibrated Adam finally realizing it was going off, he jumped up quickly trying grab it smacking his elbow on the nightstand "son of a bitch" he said as the pain shot up his arm.

He grabbed it only for it to alert him he missed the call, it was eight in the morning, he was pretty sure he hadn't slept more than four hours total. Looking over he saw Adam laying in Kim's usual spot his teddy bear clutched under his arm, he reached over and kissed him.

He went down the hall to check on Liam who was still sleeping soundly, "at least you guys are getting some sleep" he muttered to himself as he checked to see who the missed call was from it was a number he didn't recognize, he was about to call it back when the doorbell rang "shit,whoever you are if you wake my kids up I'm killing you and hiding your body" he grumbled as he adjusted his sweat pants, he was looking for a shirt when the doorbell rang again "seriously?" He gave up his quest for a short and ran to open the door.

"Someone better be-" he started to say when he realized it was Kim and Elaine, he pulled Kim into his arms "hey, I've missed you, how come you didn't call?" He asked before he kissed her.

"I thought I would surprise you guys, and I think it worked judging by your appearance" she took him in, his hair was a mess and he was wearing the sweats she had tried to throw out many times only for him to claim them as his favorite and she couldn't throw them out "where's are my boys?" She was anxious to see them.

"Adam asleep in our bed, and Liam's sleeping in the nursery but he's due to eat soon, so I'm sure he will be up soon" he took her hand and led her to the couch "how are you, the headaches are they gone?" He asked tucking a few strands of hair behind her ear.

"I'm better, the headaches are gone for the most part, but aspirin takes care of them when I have one, how did Liam do?" She asked hating the she missed his first two nights at home.

"He's good, he loves to eat" Adam told her "eats about 3 ounces every two to three hours, trust me he will let you know when he's hungry, kid can scream"

Little Adam made his way into the living room rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, holding on to his bear, he hadn't put it down at all the last two days "daddy, I hungry" he said, he did a double take when he saw Kim sitting on the couch.

"Mommy!!" He yelled running to her "you didn't go to heaven you didn't" he said, his words startled Kim, she looked at Adam over her son's shoulder.

"Hey, buddy come with grandma and let's get something to eat" Elaine said as she led the little boy away, noticing the looks that passed between Kim and Adam.

"I thought he understood, I guess he didn't" Adam said "when Liam came home and you didn't I told him you were sick and had to stay longer at the hospital and he asked if you would go to heaven like poppy" he said feeling awful "I thought he understood, I tried explaining it"

"Ugh, I hate it, poor kid" Kim said taking Adam's hand "why can't we ever do things the simple way Adam, if it can go sideways it will for our family, huh?" She said hating that her little boy was so worried while she was in the hospital.

"I don't know darlin', but it's all good now" he told her, "I wish you would have called me, I would have picked you up"

"I know, just thought it would be easier for my mom, she didn't have two boys to take care of" she smiled at him "did you get much sleep?"

"No" he laughed "it's all worth it though, I love those boys" he said as they heard Liam stir over the baby monitor "be right back" he stood up to leave Kim grabbing his hand.

"Let me, you sit down" she said kissing him when he sat back down "you are the best Adam Ruzek, I owe you" she teased.

"I plan on cashing that chip in, Kim" Adam joked it would be a long six weeks.