Chapter 48

Tom checked his rear view mirror again he was certain he was being tailed, the black sedan making every turn he did at first he wrote it off as a coincidence but not now.

He pulled up alongside a barber shop and parked, a little shocked when the car tailing him continued on, the passenger giving him a strange smile and waving at him. Once he could no longer see them, he got back in his car and headed for the florist.

"Mission accomplished" Al said when Whiting finally parked his car and got out, they wanted him suspicious and on edge, he had smiled at the bastard and even waved. "I'm enjoying this Hank, it's been awhile" the entire unit had taken this personally, Al growing even closer to Adam since Adam's dad died.

"Well, we ain't done yet" Voight said, "I want to pay this guy a visit and soon" they had checked his criminal history and they had been surprised that most of it was petty fraud charges and some simple battery charges but he had yet to be convicted of anything. "Money is what drives this guy, I'm willing to bet my badge that when he thinks of the kid, he sees dollar signs"

"Where there's smoke, there's fire" Al said "he's proved he has tendency for violence when he sucker punched Ruzek, it's only a matter of time before he fucks up" he thought he just hoped it wasn't at Sean's expense.

Tom went in to the florist and tried to find something that would work, he hated the idea of apologizing to the piece of shit cop and his wife, but if he had any hopes of getting his kid it had to be done.

"Hi, what can I help you with?" An older woman asked from behind the counter.

"I need something that says I'm sorry I kicked your ass" he laughed at the expression of shock that crossed the old lady's face "I'm kidding, well kind of anyway, how about some flowers and and some get well soon balloons" he told her "send them to Chicago Med, to Kim Ruzek the flowers anyway, the balloons to Sean"

"Hold on, Let me get a pen to write this down" the lady said moving slowly aggravating Tom even more.

"The flowers are for Kim Ruzek, write 'sorry love Tom' and the balloons to Sean on that write 'love dad' he told her knowing that would drive the cop crazy and yet still look like he was extending an olive branch and hopefully the judge would appreciate the gesture.

He paid and left, as he climbed in his car he looked around to see if his 'friends' had returned, he had recognized the passenger as one of the cops from the hospital.

Kim felt sick as her dad pulled out the results from Adam's scan out of the envelope, she could feel Adam tense beside her, she grabbed his hand "is Adam okay?" She asked her father's expression difficult to read.

"I'm fine Kim" Adam said, though he wasn't so sure, his head had been pounding all morning since the fight and aspirin hadn't been able to help not to mention the constant ringing in his ear and the dizzy spells. "right, James?"

James leaned back in his chair, rolling his neck, he could feel the tension and exhaustion, he hadn't slept well since getting the phone call about Sean and then observing his surgery. "Adam, are you having any symptoms, and please be honest with me" the neurologist who read the report wasn't thrilled with the results and Adam's history of a TBI.

Kim felt the color drain from her face, she didn't need this now with all that was going on she didn't think she could handle Adam being sick again. "Adam?" she turned to him, his silence worrying her.

Adam sighed, "I've had a headache since right after he hit me" he ran a hand thru his hair "plus when I stand up, I get a little dizzy" he said catching Kim take a deep breath "but I haven't eaten anything today, so that could be it" he hoped that would calm Kim.

Kim put her hand on his arm "or it could be the punch to the back of the head you took this morning, please Adam don't make excuses for my benefit" she said "you know yourself, that this could be serious given your history"

James pulled a picture out "look here" he said pointing to a spot near the base of Adam's skull "this was your original scan from just after the warehouse explosion, see the damage to your skull and where they ended up placing the plate?" He pulled out one from the scan he had done this morning "here's your current scan, Dr.Morrow the neurologist I spoke with is concerned that there some swelling and with your previous history" he paused as he could see Kim was struggling to process everything "ordinarily a scan like this wouldn't be a concern, sure the patient would have a decent headache but that's it"

Adam spoke up "but with my history, what does it mean?"

James looked at him "he wants to admit you overnight for observation"

"Not happening" Adam interjected, no way he was spending the night in the hospital.

"Which I knew would be your response, so I convinced him that you would notify me or him should your headache become worse or anything else pops up" James said he took Kim's hand "are you okay Kim?" She had grown unusually quiet.

"I'm okay, I'm just scared for Adam" she said "Adam, you need to be truthful about your headache and whatever else happens, please" she pleaded with him.

"I will, I'm okay the headache isn't nearly as bad as they used to be and I'm not dizzy all the time just when I stand up" he told her "I'm fine, really"

Sean's nurse approached the table "Dr.Burgess, they're taking your grandson back to his room"

"Thank you" James said as he gathered the report and slid it back in the envelope, Kim and Adam already on their way up "hey Kim, you go ahead I need to talk with Adam for a minute" Kim looked at him puzzled "it's okay, just some guy talk, go ahead he'll be right behind you"

Adam hugged her and turned back towards James "yea?" he asked a little worried "what is it?"

"Adam, I really need you to be honest with the doctors, this could go bad quick if you aren't honest" he knew as of right now it was minor swelling in any other patient it wouldn't be a concern a couple of days rest and it would be fine but Adam was different..

"I will, I promise" Adam told him "the symptoms are manageable but if they get worse I will let you know"

Kim got to Sean's room just as they wheeled him back in, he was still groggy from the anesthesia "hey baby, how are you?" She asked as she readjusted his pillow and blankets.

"Sleepy, and my throat is scratchy" he mumbled "can I have a drink now?" He asked after having to fast for the surgery.

She had already stopped at the soda machine knowing he would be thirsty when he came back, she opened the sprite and put a straw in it and brought to his lips "drink this"

He drank for what seemed like forever, leaving just a little bit in the can "where's Dad?"

"I'm right here" Adam said followed by James "how are you, champ?" He kissed the top of Sean's head "feeling okay?, Grandpa said you did great"

"I'm just sleepy, that's it" Sean said, already struggling to keep his eyes open "where's little Adam"

"Aunt Erin took him to get something to eat, and I think they're at the playground now" Kim said as she noticed a delivery man approach the door.

"Kim Ruzek?" He asked as he read the name of the clipboard he was carrying, the flowers and balloons in his hands.

"Yes, that's me" Kim said as she signed for the delivery, "Adam, when did you find the time to do this?" She smiled at him.

"I didn't" Adam said "I would love to take the credit, but they aren't from me" he told her.

She set the vase on the counter and pulled the card from the envelope reading it "that bastard" she said.