Story 5: The Great Wall St. Crash

You are now heading to a bus company by the name of Arriva, stated in the heart of Scotland, this is Buses of the UK. This story begins at the Arriva bus garage in Edinburgh, everyone was late to work because of a newsflash on the radio. There was going to be a huge market located on a very big street called Wall Street. The drivers and conductors were just like me, Michael Davies the author of this series, we all love those little outdoor markets, and those 100s of stalls. This time, Mr Nigel Graham, the controller and manager of every bus co. in the UK, decided to allow all the inspectors of the bus companies to come together on one big stall to sell merchandise of the companies, like limited edition model buses, clothes with the bus logos on it and of course old items from old buses like ticket machines or even a roll of old fashioned style tickets. The event was going to be 5 hours long, the busmen were sure to be very excited and maybe even a little bored when they reach the 3-4 hour. But to our surprise they were bored stiff when they started the event.

The event was rather successful at first, but not all busmen were able to be by the stall, they had to go to their bus garages, and get the oldest bus they had and drive it to the event, so the people could sit in the cab, go inside or just take some pictures or videos. Then, after some people bought the merch, the event started going very slowly and rather boring, the busmen were arriving fast with the old buses, there was an AEC Routemaster, a Leyland Atlantean, an AEC Regal IV, a Leyland PD3 and an MCW Merlin. Everyone went straight to the Routemaster as it was such a classic in London Transport, then they went to the others. It was like a bus garage open day, but sadly it was not as the buses would have to leave soon.

Everyone was enjoying the time on the old buses before they left to go back to the garage, but one driver in the Leyland PD3, was soon in deep deep trouble. The driver had to reverse the bus onto the main road, then drive straight into a junction, which has a roundabout and drive to the garage. But the driver had cleared the reversing and the junction roundabout, but was very tired and sleepy after the market event. He was so tired he fell asleep whilst driving back to the garage, he was swerving from side to side, the conductor felt as if he was drunk, he was all over the place, including falling down the stairs, Owch! He approached the market as he was returning to the garage, he lost control just by the entrance to the outdoor market, he fell asleep in the cab and the wheel turned straight to the right, he crashed right through the stalls and smashed right into the new indoor leisure centre, "Oh", he sighed "There goes my job", the crashing of the bus, made him wake up immediately, he ran over lots of valuable items, including a rare £600 double decker bus model by Corgi.

NEXT STORY WAITING TO LEAVE THE BUS STATION!!