sixteen:: when you play a supporting role.

ANGELS LIKE YOU BY MILEY CYRUS

SIXTEEN: when you play a supporting role.

Julian

"I don't know what kinda game your dad got but she is so fine." Ben was stuffing his face. Some impromptu potluck at my house followed a night of hotboxing. Ben, his friend Dave, and I had all gotten outrageously high and had a marathon of Archer. This was, of course, the night before my birthday. When my father had called this morning with acknowledgment of the day that his sperm bank finally caught one...

We spent three hours airing the place out.

My dad didn't exactly need to know I was always high, even if I was sure he suspected it and I could 100% see him sniff it out once he'd hit my porch.

On my clothes. His nose was pressed to my collar, almost.

Andria held back a laugh when he pushed past me, eyes narrowed on mine but he cracked a smile last minute and my dad was pulling me into a hug.

Like we hadn't had dinner last week.

Keenan and my sister followed the younger boy placing a pan of Mac and cheese on the counter, his mother following with three Tupperware containers. Keenan was jumping out of his coat. I was sure Andria made him wear it with the way he breathed once freed and tossed the puffer on the couch, he immediately went for the remote.

Jade threw herself on the couch and kicked her feet up, texting, Lady barking and dashing around the table.

Andria was busying herself in the kitchen as if she were my mother. Ben must've caught the attitude that made itself present, the glare I was probably giving her... maybe I was being obvious in my facial expressions because he was knocking his shoulder into mine.

My dad didn't see it.

"Guys the place looks nice." He was looking around, hands on his hips, smiling.

"Thanks, Dad."

"Yeah, thanks, Mr. Douglas."

"Dad." And then he was pulling me into a hug again. "Happy birthday, J."

He was patting my back when Ben laughed. "Dad." It was stretched out and emphasized, "Paul's gonna be real mad about that one, huh?"

"Benji." We literally talked about this less than two hours ago. Do not mention Paul – and what was the first thing he did?

Jason Douglas' eyes blew wide. "Paul?"

"Daaaad."

"You're back together, this is great news!" It was paired with a cheesy grin just as I knew it would be. "When did that happen?"

"Really?" Jade threw over her shoulder.

"Kinda... I mean, we haven't—"

"You think he'd like to be in the wedding?"

"In?"

"Oh my God, yes!" That was Andria. Something about her standing off to the side and eavesdropping was even more annoying than her contribution. "I know we only met once but I've been in love with his work since he came for dinner, and I was hoping he could do a live piece for us. We'd pay whatever rate, I just love the impressionistic style –"

Oh my God, no.

I could feel my eyes roll, I could feel myself kissing my teeth. I could see the way her face dropped.

She had locked eyes with me then. They were curious almost, mostly unreadable. She was looking over at my father whose eyes were locked onto that piece still.