seven:: when you learn communication.

GUYS, NEXT CHAPTERS ARE SO PLANNED OUT THAT THE UPDATE WILL BE ASAP. ALSO ENTERED THE WATTYS AGAIN SO PLEASE BE SURE TO VOTE AND COMMENT x

[Danny; Erase by Omar Apollo]

SEVEN: when you learn communication.

Lecture classes were the only things keeping me from spending all my time, off the field, in bed. My head was throbbing, post a weekend spent vomiting, it was triggered from a hangover and only furthered by taking meds that didn't work with my system and I spent half my time over the toilet, sick. I briefly thought of not taking any medication, that had to be better than this feeling but I wasn't trying to land myself in a depressive hole with no one to pull me out and honestly, I didn't think I'd recover if that happened.

With a mint flavor still settling in my mouth, I could taste the lingering of the mouthwash I carried on me to class. My stomach was empty and my head was starting to hurt with the lack of food but even the sight of the dining hall that morning had made me nauseous. I was so burnt out.

"Verbal barriers, implications in cross-cultural communication come from assumptions indicative of greater fluency in one language verses the other and cognitive strains can be influenced by multiple languages." I was supposed to be taking notes possibly, I think the terms and concepts they were discussing the last class were supposed to be on the final but I simply didn't have the energy and I was lucky that another guy on my team was in this class, he always recorded the lectures and I wasn't even sure why I'd shown up.

Because you're not going to understand if you try to revise on your own.

The idea was simple but the discourse wasn't and I wasn't sure how to participate in the class when the just wasn't room for stupid questions. it was a basic concept and even if I kind of got it then, I knew it wasn't going to be easy to remember later and I found myself attempting to jot down key words.

My ending average GPA in high school really made for below-average test scores, I never did test well and college only emphasized all the issues I had in learning. "First language speakers often modify aspects of their speech, you see in some instances it has the ability to remove redundancy of content but could be perceived as patronizing. That is only preceded by, is it possible to modify speech, or is it passable? In these instances, the second-language speaker may pretend to understand in order to avoid embarrassment or appear competent..."

The class was so immersed in exactly what was being said and for some reason, I always felt two class periods behind. The terms I was copying from a class I'd missed were almost foreign to me. I tried to relate them to something in my life and maybe I found trouble in that was the fact that the only non-native English speakers I'd known were the Martinez-Jones family. It wasn't that hard to grasp, it was basic knowledge but the "we must realize that language accommodation can have a positive effect but not always," fell on deaf ears because I was too busy trying to catch up.

I was not even halfway done when another assignment was dropped on top of the pile. "Turn to page 378, this is the reading for the night and a quiz will be available online until the weekend is out. Don't forget to submit your essays and a hard copy is due on Monday before class." I had completely forgotten about that paper, I had two more, the reading, the quiz, a makeup quiz for a class I'd been skipping for three weeks now, and practice. "I urge you to think of the communicative relationships in your life, what if they had a cultural barrier as well? We understand on a surface level, take advantage of that."

By that time, it was eleven-thirty, the class had ended and I couldn't stop thinking about the rest of the things I had to do before the night was out. I had one more class that day at three and then practice at five, that meant I could finish at like nine and work on my essays until about three in the morning, my first class wasn't until eleven the next day.