Chapter 29

These few days I've been in contact with my family more than my liking

These few days I've been in contact with my family more than my liking. Especially after the phone call with my dad, it made me very moody everytime I thought about it.

Not only that but also my brother who now walked like he owned the world. With his head high like a horse, he looked like he was walking on clouds. They invited me for breakfast today which I couldn't decline since Samuel will be there and I wanted to see my nephew.

We were sitting in the garden eating our breakfast in an uncomfortable silence. Samuel was oddly very quiet and gloomy which made me worried about him. As for his dad, he was happily laughing with someone on the phone. As for my sister-in law, she didn't stop with the weird gazes she has been giving me since forever. It's distasteful.

"Of course, Alfio. Everything will be arranged as you want."

I was startled when Samuel started coughing and choking on his drink. I patted his back to help him. He started gasping for air and his whole face reddened. Pierre gritted his teeth and gave me a fake smile then ended his phone call.

"You okay?" I asked Samuel.

He nodded while sharing some very weird glances with his dad. He looked nervous.

Their relation definitely made me question myself. And when Samuel stood up and walked inside the house, I couldn't wait and followed him in. I don't know why but I feel like something has been going on here and it made me suspicious.

Samuel was leaned on the counter, his hands shaking.

Yes, definitely something is going on.

"Samuel? You good?"

"Huh? Yes, yes, don't worry." He coughed again and started taking deeper breaths to calm down.

This guy didn't look fine. He has changed. I can see it in his face. Something is going on with my nephew.

"Be honest with me, Samuel. Is something going on?"

And his whole face was written with panic. "What? Of course not, Dion."

I'm not convinced. "Try again." I said and crossed my arms on my chest.

"It's really nothing. I'm just not in the mood to talk with anyone." He was about to walk away when I stopped him.

"Let's go golfing and spend a day together like in the past. Just me and you."

Samuel thought for a second and then slowly smiled at me. "I'll be downstairs in ten minutes."

I raised this kid. Just like Fred was a father figure to me, I was the same to Samuel. Everytime my brother and his wife went on business trips, locked themselves in their bedroom or had stuff to do, I was the one who entertained Samuel. I went to French classes with him, I went to golfing with him, I dropped him off to school when he was a little kid. I'm like a father to him.