Tattoo? What was I Thinking?!

I looked across the road to see a tattoo shop, "Spilled Ink" in red lights. For the past two weeks I have been obsessed in getting a tattoo that I drew . I had the drawing in my hand. I had money in my pocket. The only thing that was stopping me was the wall in my mind.

I took a deep breath and look right and left and cross the street. The shop's door jingles as I opened the door. The shop was empty with only a guy at the cash register playing on his phone. For some reason I was kinda shocked to see his arms and hands covered in ink.

"Hey" He looked up putting away his phone.

"Hi" I said taken back from his big brown eyes.

I slowly made my way to him while looking around the room.

The room was covered in pictures and photos of tattoos that people have designed and got done. In the back of the room there was two chairs, like dentist chairs, with two lights above them. On one side of the room there was shelves of all different containers and equipment.

"So what can I do for you?" The guy leaned on the glass counter which contained all different types of piercings.

"Um... I was wondering if I could get a tattoo on my ribs" I said pointing at the part of my body

"Okay, what you going to have?" He smiled staring at me

"I drew something that I would like" I handed him the crinkled up paper

He unfolded the piece of paper and stared it, his eyes widening

"Wow, that's awesome...Uh"

"Gerard" I smiled

"Frank" He looked up at me

"Thanks, I'm a comic book artist"

"Ah, make sense. Anyway yep, I can definitely make this happen" He kept staring at the design. "What size would you want it?"

"Oh, I have no idea. Maybe this size?" I showed the size with my hands apart

"Cool, just pop on the chair then and see what we are working with" He led me to the back of the room to the chair.

"Is this your first time?" Frank asked getting new gloves from the bench beside me.

"Yeah, yeah it is" I smiled

"No need to be nervous. You're only permanent marking your skin" He grinned at me. Funny enough this didn't help with my nerves.

"When did you start getting tattoos?" I asked trying to distract myself

"Oh, Um.. I think I got my first tattoo when I was....16" Frank thought fixing the gloves on his fingers. "Okay, take off you're top and we'll get started" Frank reached over for the bottle of alcohol.

The cold back of the chair met my skin and I felt really exposed to a guy that I don't even know. I lifted up my arm and held on to the head rest behind my head. Frank rolled over in his rollie chair.

"Okay, so are you ready?" Frank asked

I nodded closing my eyes

I felt him wipe my skin with cold alcohol, then gentle put the stencil on my skin. I heard the buzzing sound that I was waiting for.

"You know you can breathe" Frank chuckled

I didn't realize until now that I holding my breath.

"Sorry" I crinkled my eyes

My heart was pounding in my chest at this moment. My hand was losing grip on the seat with the sweat. I suddenly felt a pinching pain on my ribs

"Ahh" I cried out and opened my eyes

"You okay?" Frank stopped and looked up with worry

"Yep yep keep going" I said biting my lip hard staring at the ceiling

Don't look down. Don't look down. Don't look at the needle

The pain started again and of course I looked down. The minute I saw the needle I flipped my shit. I could feel panic just covering me. The deeper I breathe the hard it was for me to take in oxygen.

"Shit, stop. Stop. STOP" I said trying to get off the chair. Frank back away with his arms in the air. "I'm sorry, I really am but I can't so this. I think I just found out that I have a huge phobia of needles" I said bending over and breathing deeply.

"It's okay" Frank smiled standing up and peeling off his gloves.

He came over to me and rubbed my back. "Are you sure you're okay? Do you need a glass of water?" Frank asked with genuine concern

"I think I'll be okay. I think I just need some air" I smiled reassuring him.

I pull my top back on and walked outside taking deep breaths in and out. The cold air enter my lung helping me calm down.

I went back inside the shop to see Frank cleaning up at the back.

"You have a small line where I started" Frank smiled walking towards me

I pulled up my t-shirt to see a small thin black line . "Oh well, it will remind me of my phobia of needles" I smiled. "Well I better get going, stop wasting anymore of your time." I grabbed my drawing off the glass counter

"You're not wasting me time" Frank smiled back tucking his long hair behind his ear.

"Bye then" I waved and opened the door.

I walked down the street feeling like the biggest loser. I'm 28 years old and only find out now that I'm afraid of needles. I'm glad Frank was there. I guessing he was used to people acting that way. When I mean people, I mean 16 year old girls who want a tramp stamp of a butterfly.

"Gerard?!" Someone shouted behind me

I turned around to see Frank looking around outside the shop. I jogged back.

"Hey" I smiled Frank meeting me half way

"Any chance you want to go out for a drink tonight?" Frank looked down at the ground scratching his neck.

"Uh, yeah, I would love to" His head shot up and he grinned widely

"Great, just let me close up the shop" Frank walked back into the building and got ready.

Maybe this tattoo idea wasn't such a bad thing after all.