Chapter 4

Emily stands in the water watching Sara play with Jack in the wave pool. The water keeps splashing her hips and she smiles. Hotch walks up to her and snakes his arm around her bare hip. "It's nice out." She murmurs still watching the kids. "Mhm." He mumbles back. "Are you hungry?" He asks her. "When am I not?" She says back laughing. "Sara! Jack!" Hotch yells to his 2 kids playing. "Its time to go get some lunch." Both kids groan and get out of the water. Emily pulls the towels out of a bag and hands them to Sara to give to Jack. Sara, for the first time, gives Emily a small thankful smile. Emily pulls her shorts over her bottoms and picks up all their stuff. They all walk to a cafe on the inside of the water park. Emily sits with Hotch on one side of the table while Sara and Jack sit across from them. "Emily, do you really think that is appropriate to be wearing around kids?" Sara sneers giving her a slight glare. "Sara!" Hotch warns her. "What, dad? Do you see what she is wearing? Every guy she passes stares at her. She looks like a whore!!" Sara yells back to Hotch. "Aaron... its fine. I'll go change." Emily stumbles to get her words out, shocked by what the teenager had said. She gets up taking the bag with her to the bathroom to quickly change. Once in the 1 person bathroom Emily closes the door and sinks to the ground. Burying her head in her knees she takes deep breaths to remain calm. She digs through the bag to find her tank top. She slides it over her head when there is a knock at the door. "One second! I'll be out in a second!" She calls out trying to find her sweatshirt. "Em. Its me." Aaron's voice comes through the door. "I'll be out in a second, Aaron." She says quietly trying to recompose herself. "Prentiss, open the door right this instant." He says in his unit chief voice. "Prentiss? When the hell did he start calling me that again?" She thinks to herself. Seconds later she flips the lock and he walks in closing the door behind him. Not even thinking he pulls her into a big hug. She wraps her arms around his neck tucking her face into his neck. "Don't let her get to you, Emily. She is just a teenager trying to piss off her dad's girlfriend." He whispers in her ear. She takes another deep breath before pulling away. "I love you." He whispers again before leaving her in the bathroom. Emily picks up the bag and goes back to the table. Aaron had ordered her food and by the time she is back the food had arrived. "You guys go back to your mom's house today. I'll drop you off on the way out of here." Hotch says taking a bite of his food. Dinner finishes with barley any words spoken. In the car Hotch holds Emily's hand the whole way. Jack sings really loudly making the two adults in the front seat laugh. Sara rolls her eyes at her brother and puts in her headphones. They pull up to Haley's new house and both kids jump out running inside. Emily and Aaron climb out of the car and walk to the door where Haley is intently listening to Jack tell her all about his time with his father. Haley clears her throat and smiles at her son. "I'm glad you had fun with your dad but now its time for me to talk to him. I'll come and talk to you in a little bit." He nods his head and runs upstairs. Emily smiles at Haley and Haley smiles back. "How was Sara?" She asks quietly not trying to alert the teen sitting in the living room. "She was-" Hotch starts but Emily quickly cuts him off. "She was great. We really loved having her. I hope to see more of her." Hotch looks over at Emily with a shocked expression and Haley's smile grows bigger. "I am so glad to hear that. Will you be home next weekend?" She asks and Hotch as well as Emily let out a sigh. Simultaneously they say "If a case doesn't come upon our desks, then yes." Haley shakes her head and laughs. "Some things never change." They nod their heads saying their goodbyes and walk out to the car. During the car ride they don't speak one word to each other till Emily breaks the silence. "Please drop me off at my house." She says not looking to him but continues to stare out the window. "Emily..." He starts but she shakes her head cutting him off once again. "I asked you to take me home." She snaps and he looks over at her when they come to a stoplight. "Why are you being like this?" He asks trying to reach for her hand but she pulls away. "I have to do somethings at my house, Aaron. You are welcome to stay but I need to do something." She says, once again not looking at him. "Fine." He drives to her house and they both walk inside the house. She runs up to the bathroom upstairs and he walks into the almost empty living room, besides a lazy boy chair and the TV. He plops down and flicks the TV on while he waits for her to come back.