CON LA BRISA

CITY OF STARS.
06. ❛ con la brisa.

RUSHING INTO THE LAB, Shuri and Aria spotted T'Challa, Nakia, and Okoye walking beside someone lying on a bed.

"Sorry, we're late, brother." Shuri apologized before rushing forward and pulling back the blanket to reveal an unconscious Agent Everett Ross. "Great, another broken white boy for me to fix. This is going to be fun."

"Another?" Aria questioned, but no one answered, so she shrugged it off. Okoye glared frustratingly at Aria, still not trusting the girl, while Nakia simply smiled at her, keeping an open mind.

Once they were in Shuri's small lab, Shuri lifted a hologram of Ross' spine from his body. Expanding the plates, she nodded at a plate that was red. "He will live. Aria, come over here."

Aria smiled at T'Challa as she passed him and went to Shuri's side, watching as she explained how she would fix the man.

Nakia bumped T'Challa's shoulder and motioned to the two teenage girls who were awfully close to one another. Instead of clenching his jaw as he did with every other significant other Shuri had, T'Challa smiled.

He had never seen his sister so happy, and the pure, innocent interest in Aria's face was enough for him to let the two be and see where they'll go.

Soft beeps emitted from the kimoyo beads around Shuri's wrists as she and Aria glanced down at them. "W'Kabi is here," Shuri announced, stiffening up.

The king looked at Okoye and Nakia warily before heading up the stairwell. Aria lifted her eyes, and they clashed with Okoye's.

After seeing the respect held in Aria's eyes, Okoye lifted her chin and softened her harsh glare on the girl.

The woman in green, Nakia, walked up to Aria, and the siren's body tensed up immensely. She held out a hand and softened her eyes at the protective girl, "I'm Nakia."

Aria shook the woman's hand and nodded respectively, "Princess Aquaria of Talokan."

"It's nice to meet you." Nakia warmly smiled and let go of Aria's hand. "I hope to see more of you in the future."

ONCE SUNSET HAD HIT, Aria dragged Shuri out of her lab and brought her down to the riverside. She had changed back into her vibranium dress and asked Shuri to change into swimsuit attire and leave her kimoyo beads behind.

Aria laughed and pulled Shuri by her hand as they ran through some trees until they got as close to the water as possible. Aria stopped laughing and turned to catch the Princess's eyes, "Do you trust me?"

"No," Shuri said unsurely and shrugged but still followed the girl.

"I mean, you could've just lied and said yes so I wouldn't have to lure you in with a siren song," Aria spoke seriously with a shrug, taking one step into the water

Shuri's eyes widened, and Aria laughed, "Oh, you should've seen your face, princesa. I'm kidding. I would never use my siren song on you."

"Wait, you can actually do that?" Shuri raised her eyebrows, and when Aria nodded, Shuri laughed with disbelief.

"Just trust me this once; nothing will happen to you, promise," Aria assured and held out her hand to the princess.

Shuri's lifted her hand but hesitated for a moment, "Just so you know, I can't swim."

Aria shrugged, "I'll slow the tide for you."

Shuri looked at the water before placing her hand in Aria's and following the siren into the water. Aria smiled and led the princess in the water until it reached their upper abdomen.

And as promised, Aria slowed the way the water moved so it slowly pulled to a stop. "Are you ready?" Aria asked, and before Shuri could respond, the water surrounding Shuri started to turn into glowing figures.

First, it was dolphins, then mermaids, and now it was panthers. Shuri laughed and spun around, looking at all the different shapes and figures the glowing water turned into as it spun around her.

Aria grinned and watched the girl in front of her get excited at something she did. "Pretty, aren't they?"

Shuri nodded and tore her eyes away from the dancing water when she heard a splash. She turned to Aria, who smiled mysteriously. When Shuri heard the splash again, she backed up, and when she bumped into Aria, she just walked around her, using the siren as a human shield. "Okay, Aria, this is the part where I don't trust you."

Aria threw her head back laughing and turned to face the princess, their bodies so close that they almost pressed against each other. "Okay, okay. Hold my hand, then hold your breath." Aria instructed.

Shuri grabbed the girl's hand without question before she held her breath and submerged her head underwater. She blinked twice when a bubble of air formed around her head.

"You can breathe now, trust me."

Shuri looked into Aria's light brown eyes before she inhaled. Expecting to get a rush of water up her nose, Shuri was shocked when all she got was oxygen. "Woah! Wait! I'm talking. Like-like underwater."

Aria laughed and nodded, her dark blue hair floating everywhere in the water. "This only works when you're touching my skin; it's fascinating, right? Now whatever you do, don't freak out."

Shuri nodded and squeezed Aria's hand tighter, now, for sure, not wanting to let go. Aria smiled and pointed straight ahead, but all Shuri could see was darkness. It was as if her mind was read cause suddenly, all the seashells and rocks in the water glowed to life, and Shuri gasped when she saw two dolphins playing around with each other.

"Did you bring them here?" Shuri asked the girl.

"Yes." Aria nodded and turned to face the dolphins playing with each other; she then whistled and gestured her head towards Shuri, and the two dolphins squeaked before rushing towards the surface girl.

Shuri's face drained of any color, and she immediately pressed the side of her body to Aria's. Aria smiled and rubbed her thumb across Shuri's hand, "Hey, open your eyes."

Shuri opened one eye first and then the other when she saw the dolphins circling her and Aria and nudging at their bodies. Shuri laughed and extended her other hand to brush along one of the dolphins.

"Eww, they're slimy." Shuri laughed and brought her hand back to her side.

Once the dolphins nudged Aria goodbye, they left, and Shuri pushed her feet off the ground so she could go back up.

Once her face broke through the water, the first thing Shuri saw was the brightly lit stars in the sky; then she looked back down at Aria, who smoothed her blue hair back.

"Thank you." Shuri smiled, her voice low and slightly raspy, "Truly. It was beautiful."

"Anytime, princesa." Aria nodded and slowly walked out of the water, her dress glistening with the moonlight, "Now let's go check on your new broken white boy."