GO FOR THE HEAD

CITY OF STARS.
21. ❛ go for the head.

M'BAKU GROWLED AS HE took out another alien with his stick whilst Thor flew up with Stormbreaker and destroyed the ships outside the dome.

Wanda landed in the forest, rushing over to wounded Vision who sat against a log. She knelt down, cradling his face. Vision looked up at her before crying out in pain, the Mind Stone vividly shining.

"What?" Wanda pressed, "What is it?"

The air in Wakanda was eerie, strange even. Everyone could tell something wasn't right. "He's here," Vision said, looking around alerted.

"Everyone, on my position. We have incoming," Steve called through his earpiece.

Joining him, Sam, Natasha, T'Challa, Okoye, and Bruce looked around. "What the hell?" Natasha mumbled under her breath, looking around.

A cloud of blue appeared and Thanos stalked out from it. Wanda stood, bringing her hands together to form a ball of red.

Everyone drew in a shaky breath, fear almost making them paralyzed. Bruce turned around in his Hulk-Buster suit and said, "Cap, that's him."

Steve clenched his fist, bringing out the spike in his wrist shield. "Eyes up." He broke into a run, "Stay sharp."

Bruce Banner reached Thanos first, and with ease, Thanos used the Space Stone on him, making him transparent. Thanos then turns and makes him a part of a rock wall. Then it was Steve, but Thanos uses the power stone to throw Steve out of his way.

T'Challa runs, and jumps up high into the air to use his claws but was easily caught by the throat and thrown into the ground, the King's built-up armor discharging.

Sam flies down, shooting at Thanos trying his hardest but falls down when his wings get broken by one of the stones. Rhodey shoots from above but the space stone is used against him, enclosing him in the suit tightly.

Bucky runs up, shooting, but is pushed away by the power stone and Okoye's thrown spear is stopped and she's thrown off too. Natasha gets tripped and trapped in shards of the earth, unable to escape. Groot uses his tree arms to grow roots in the ground and around Thanos.

Then suddenly, Thanos punched Steve into the ground, knocking him out cold after the captain had run at the mad titan again.

Thanos picked Vision up by the neck and pressed his fingers into Vision's head and pulled the Mind Stone out, Vision's body draining of its color and function.

Wanda watched with shock as Thanos threw Vision to the side. He looked at the stone before placing it in the last spot of the gauntlet. The energy of all the Infinity Stones together goes off and Thanos struggles a little to cope with it.

"No!" Wanda yelled and ran at the alien but he smacked her far back.

Thanos once again looks at the fully finished gauntlet, then all of the sudden, he's thrown back by a blast of lightning, it was an axe that flew into Thanos' chest and Thor was right behind it. He brought Thanos down to his knees and he was at eye level with Thor now.

Thanos whispered his last words, "You should've .... you should've... you should've gone for the head." And then he snapped his gauntlet fingers and everything went blank for a moment.

A blast of wind covered the Wakandan land, Thanos' gauntlet arm was burnt, and smoke coming from it. The two looked at it weirdly, confused about what happened. "What did you do?" Thor asked, his eyes wide, "What did you do?!"

Then Thanos disappeared into one of his portals, leaving the axe that was in his chest behind. Thor stood there in shock, his eyes still as wide, he couldn't believe it.

Then Steve came along, finally conscious. "Where'd he go?" Steve asked. Thor didn't answer. "Thor, where'd he go?"

"Steve?" Bucky looked up from where he stood up, his voice shaky. He took a step but soon fell into a pile of ashes.

Steve and Thor watched, paralyzed.

MANTIS LOOKED AROUND THE Titan wasteland, "Something's happening."

Peter Quill turned to see Mantis suddenly flake away into ash. He grunted as Peter Parker helped Tony Stark stand to his feet. Quill watched as Drax looked at him with fear in his eyes, his arm wisping away, "Quill?"

"Steady, Quill," Tony said. Quill looked up at Tony, his forehead creasing.

"Oh, man..."

Peter Parker stumbled back in shock, not believing what he just witnessed.

"Tony." Tony turned to Stephen Strange. Stephen shook his head lightly. "There was no other way." Tony watched as he suddenly dissolved away.

"Mr. Stark?"

Peter clutched his side with one hand as he looked up at his mentor, "I don't feel so good."

"You're all right."

A whine escaped the back of his throat, but not a whine of pain, a whine of fear. Peter looked at his hand, tripping forward into Tony's arms. "I don't-I don't know what's happening."

He gripped Tony's shoulder tightly, trying to hold himself up as his legs became numb. "I don't wanna go. I don't wanna go. Mr. Stark, please, please. I don't wanna go." He whimpered and held onto Tony tighter.

Parts of Peter's body were beginning to break apart like dirt would, as if his skin were cracking painlessly. Tony gently bent down, laying Peter on his back. Peter's eyes stared into Tony's soul, "I-I'm sorry."

The boy gave a pained, tight-lipped smile as he faded out of existence. Tony paused in that position before he suddenly felt space beneath him. Falling forward, he lay in his bed of ashes.

Tony's blinked away his tears. He slowly lifted his hand, his hand coated in the teenager's ashes. "He did it." Nebula muttered, eyes cast to the ground.

Tony waited for his own hand to start to disintegrate. But when it didn't, he lowered his head, his worst nightmare coming true.

BACK ON WAKANDA AQUARIA gasped painfully, her vision was starting to go out, black spots forming everywhere. She struggled to keep her eyes open as she saw a buff, blurry figure running towards her.

"HELP! WE NEED SOME HELP OVER HERE!" M'Baku shouted loudly as he kneeled beside the princess, examining her fatal injuries. The sweat, blood, tears, and dirt made the princess look nearly dead. "Princess! Can you hear me?!"

When Aria didn't respond, M'Baku moved to sit her up making her cry out in pain. The wound in her abdomen bleeding profusely. The man softly let the girl go and watched as she struggled to keep her eyes awake, "No, no, no, no! You've got to stay awake, Princess!"

Hopeless and tired, Aria's eyes became heavy so she succumbed and closed them, seconds away from blacking out as her hearing was now a ringing noise.

"Aquaria! Somebody get the King or the Princess! You have to keep your eyes open, Aquar-..." Was the last thing Aria heard from the gruff voice before it faded away and she felt herself slip back into an unconscious state.