TIME TRAVEL

CITY OF STARS.
29. ❛ time travel.

THOR CRACKED OPEN a can of beer, sauntering into the room, looking dead and extremely tired but he didn't give a damn.

"Drifting left! On the side there, Lebowski!" Tony chimed in, carrying a pipe over his shoulder. "Ratchet! How's it going" Tony suddenly yelled, carrying the heavy pipe alone.

"It's Rocket," he called back over the distance sound of rock music playing on the speakers. He pointed his wrench at the billionaire, hanging on the underside of the quantum tunnel generator they were building. "Take it easy, you're only a genius on Earth, pal."

Scott tried standing still as Bruce and Nebula trekked around him. His eyes darted around as the two spoke to one another as if Scott wasn't even in the suit

"Time travel suit not bad," Rhodey nodded, looking over the white bodysuit Scott wore.

Aquaria walked into the room with her weapons still strapped to her body but was given some of Natasha Romanoff's clothes. Some black jeans were slightly loose on her legs and she had a dark blue sweatshirt.

Nebula stiffened up slightly at the sight of the girl, not having a clue who she was, while Scott passed a kind smile.

Bruce reached down a small tube of Hank's 'Pym Particles' in his large fingers. When he attempted to store the vile in Scott's suit, Scott jerked away. "Hey, hey! Easy! Easy!"

"I'm being very careful."

"No, you're being very Hulky!" Scott snapped back, grabbing the tube from Bruce.

Bruce stepped back, "I'm being careful!"

Scott held up the tube of red liquid at the scientist, "These are Pym Particles, all right? And ever since Hank Pym snapped out of existence, this is what we have. We're not making any more!"

"Scott," Rhodey addressed, "Calm down."

"It should work." Aquaria nodded, her eyes floating around the room, "Correct?"

Scott nodded unsurely before looking up at Bruce apologetically, "Sorry," He sighed deeply. "We got enough for one round-trip each. That's it. No do-overs. Plus, three test runs."

Bruce turned back to the controls on the wall. Scott shoved the tube of particles into his suit, accidentally activating his suit and shrinking.

When Scott reappeared a second later, he pursed his lips, "Two test runs."

Rhodey shook his head, staring at his feet. "All right," Scott sighed, shutting his eyes. "I'm not ready for this."

Rhodey shook his head and Scott hopefully looked up at Aquaria, "Hell no. I'm not risking my life just cause you're scared. I already did that once."

"I'm game."

Everyone's heads turned to see Clint standing in the doorway, arms crossed over his chest, "I'll do it."

Aquaria furrowed his eyebrows and tilted her head, "Who are you?"

"I'm Clint Barton." Clint stuck out his hand to shake the girl's, a smirk appearing on his lips when he saw her bow and arrow, "You're an archer?"

"Yes." Aquaria nodded, her mouth opening to mention she was also a siren but stopped when she remembered she wasn't. "It's about all that I'm good at."

"NOW, YOU ARE GOING TO feel a little discombobulated from the chronoshift. Don't worry about it." Bruce explained as Nebula tinkered with the controls of Clint's suit.

"Wait a second, let me ask you something," Rhodey piped up, standing to the side watching as Aquaria fiddled with an arrow. "If we can do this, you know, go back in time, why don't we just go back and find baby Thanos, y'know? And..." He mimed tying something around the baby's neck before pulling on it and choking; implying they kill baby Thanos by choking him.

"You want to kill him?" Aquaria lifted her eyebrows, she never thought of killing the titan but if they wanted to do that then all she had to do was get her father.

"Well..." Rhodey tilted his head from side to side, almost saying yes.

"First of all, that's horrible!" Bruce exclaimed, holding out a hand.

Rhodey's shoulder dropped. "It's Thanos." He and Aquaria said in unison.

"And secondly, time doesn't work that way." Bruce continued, "Changing the past doesn't change the future!"

"We go back, we get the Stones before Thanos gets them, Thanos doesn't have the Stones." Scott offered hopefully. Rhodey motioned a hand to him, looking up at Bruce. "Problem solved."

"Bingo," Clint mumbled.

"That's not how it works." Nebula hushed.

"Well, that's what I heard," Clint commented before Bruce leaned down at him,

"What? By who?" the scientist asked frantically, getting annoyed. "Who told you that?"

"Star Trek, Terminator," Rhodey listed, lifting his fingers as he spoke. "TimeCop, Time After Time."

"Quantum Leap," Scott added, nodding his head.

"A Wrinkle in Time, Somewhere in Time."

"Hot Tub Time Machine." Scott pointed out again.

"Are these movies?" Aquaria whispered to Clint who nodded.

"Hot Tub Time Machine, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Basically any movie that deals with time travel." Rhodey finished his list.

"Die Hard?" Scott asked before his face scrunched up. "No, that's not one..."

"This is known," Rhodey said.

"I don't know why everyone believes that but that isn't true," Bruce remarked. "Think about it; if you travel to the past, that past becomes your future. And your former present becomes the past. Which can't now be changed to your new future!"

"Exactly." Nebula said, agreeing with the man as everyone stared in silence.

"So Back to the Future's a bunch of bullshit?" Scott asked in disbelief.

Aquaria hesitantly rose her hand, "What's Back to the Future?" She whispered softly.

Scott slowly turned his head to look at her with his eyes wide. "W-What?" He stammered out. "Do you live under a rock or something?"

"I live under the ocean." Aquaria shrug, "I like to sleep on rocks, though."

Everyone in the room blinked and stared at the girl silently. Scott nodded, "That's cool but we're watching Back to the Future right now."