WELCOME HOME

CITY OF STARS.
17. ❛ welcome home.

"WE GOTTA ASSUME THEY'RE coming back, right?" James Rhodes asked as everyone gathered in another room of the compound.

"And they can clearly find us," Wanda added looking down at the floor in thought. The remaining part of Captain America's team had shown up at the Avenger's Compound asking about why some aliens were after Vision's Stone.

"We need all hands on deck. Where's Clint?" Bruce asked, glancing around at everyone.

Natasha shook her head, her platinum blonde hair swaying slightly. "After the whole Accords situation, he and Scott took a deal. It's too tough on their families."

"Who's Scott?" Bruce asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"Ant-Man." Steve quickly answered. Bruce turned to him.

"There's an Ant-Man and a Spider-Man?" Bruce paused.

Bruce shook his head, trying to focus again. "Okay, look... Thanos has the biggest army in the Universe. And he is not gonna stop until he- he gets...Vision's Stone."

"Well then, we have to protect it," Natasha spoke with authority, crossing her arms.

"No, we have to destroy it." Vision retaliated, leaning on a pillar as his hand pressed on his wounded side. Steve looked up at him.

"I've been giving a good deal of thought to this entity in my head. About its nature. But also, its composition." Vision looked at Wanda, walking up to her. "I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source, very similar to its own signature, perhaps... its molecular integrity could fail."

"Yeah, and you with it," Wanda said in a low tone, her body tense. "We're not having this conversation."

"Eliminating the Stone is the only way to be certain Thanos can't get it."

"That's too high a price."

"Only you, have the power to pay it." Vision placed his hands on the sides of her head. Wanda remained silent, giving Vision a look before moving away from him. "Thanos threatens half the Universe, one life cannot stand in the way of defeating him."

"But it should," Steve said, looking down. "We don't trade lives, Vision."

"Captain, seventy years ago, you laid down your life to save how many millions of people. Tell me, why is this any different?"

"Because you might have a choice," Bruce replied. "Your mind is made up of a complex construct of overlays; Jarvis, Ultron, Tony, me, the Stone. All of them mixed together. All of them learning from one another."

"You're saying Vision isn't just the Stone?" Wanda asked, her voice slightly wavering.

Bruce nodded, "I'm saying... if you take out the Stone, there's still a whole lot of Vision left. Perhaps the best parts."

"Can you do that?" Steve asked, stepping closer to Bruce.

Bruce glanced at him, "Not me, not here."

"Well, you better find someone and somewhere, fast." Rhodes said, "Ross isn't just gonna let you guys have your old rooms back."