LET ME HOLD YOU

CITY OF STARS.
37. ❛ let me hold you.

WATCHING OKOYE FIGHT against Glaive, Aquaria clenched her jaw and walked forward. Just as Okoye was going to kill the alien, Aquaria's grabbed the woman's forearm and stopped her from killing him.

Okoye froze and turned slowly to look at the girl, "Nice to see you're still alive after two years. Last I saw of you, you were on a deathbed. I can't believe you didn't even visit. Now, what the hell are you doing?"

"This man," Aquaria started slowly, glaring down at the alien, "Is responsible for nearly killing me. Now if you don't mind, I'd like to do the honors."

Okoye rose her eyebrows at how dark the girl sounded, her voice so full of agony and hatred. The Dora Milaje warrior nodded and handed the princess her spear.

Glaive tried to scramble back as he saw the blue-haired girl stalk towards him with the spear. Her brown eyes had little innocent demons recklessly playing with matches.

"Do you see this?" Aquaria kneeled down to the alien on the floor and pointed to a scar on her throat. "What about these?" Her suit disappeared and she lifted her blue t-shirt to point at all the scars littered on her stomach, "And this one?" She lastly pointed to her left leg where her scar had reopened from the metal shard impaling it earlier when she was with Clint.

"Did I do that?" Glaive smirked proudly.

"Yes." Aquaria nodded and grinned, it was halfway a smile and halfway a threat. "You also hit my girlfriend which I've got to tell you is 80% of the reason I'm going to kill you because no one, no one touches her."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"So when I kill you," Aquaria started before she brought down the spear and impaled the alien in the chest, "At least know that the person you almost killed is now killing you so easily." And with that, she twisted the spear and watch the light diminish from Glaive's eyes.

Aquaria inhaled and let her suit cover her body once more. She stood up from her kneeled position and took out the spear, throwing it to Okoye who caught it expertly and ran off to continue fighting.

The girl looked down at Glaive one last time before stepping back. When she looked back up she caught sight of someone when the dust cleared.

It was her.

Aquaria's breath hitched ever so slightly as she looked at her. Her short blue hair was still a mess, blood and dirt covered her face, and the faint glow of the battle illuminated her eyes but she stood there looking at her dead girlfriend.

Shuri smiled brightly and stared at her archer for a moment. She was wearing the suit Shuri had gifted her though what caught Shuri's eyes was the cocktail of emotions brewing in Aquaria's whiskey-brown eyes.

Amid it all falling apart around them, the lovers wanted nothing more but to hold the other. Shuri took an uncertain step forward and waved at her girlfriend, "Hey."

Aria's gave a deadpan stare at her girlfriend. Her chest rose and fall with each step she took toward the Wakandan princess. She was angry, Shuri could tell which made her smile falter.

"You..." Aria started before she pushed her girlfriend back making Shuri stumble before she caught her step. "You complete ass, Shuri Udaku! What the hell were you thinking?! Dying on me!"

Shuri stood shell-shocked as Aria yelled at her with a thick Talokan accent. Aquaria breathed heavily as tears started to gather in her eyes, "You're gone for five years! Five years! And the first thing you say is 'hey'?!"

"Well, what do you want me to say?" Shuri rose her eyebrows and lifted her hands up, "'Hello, Aquaria Neptunia, Princess of Talokan, my girlfriend, a protégée of the general siren for the Talokanil army'?"

"I-..." Aria paused then nodded, "I suppose you have a point."

"Yeah." Shuri nodded with a laugh before pulling the girl in for a hug, "Now, come here."

Aria went frigid for a moment, she forgot how Shuri's arms felt around her waist. Aria forgot how she faintly smelled of honey, she forgot how soft her hands were, she forgot how it felt to be loved by her.

Shuri could feel her girlfriend melt beneath her hold as Aria's arms wrapped around her neck tightly, sobbing quietly into the crook of Shuri's neck.

Aria grasped onto the girl tight, tighter than they had ever embraced before. Oh, how she missed her girlfriend so much. She held the back of Shuri's head gently as they embraced, slowly beginning to feel that peace she had missed for so long.

Aria's hands moved from the back of Shuri's head to either side of her face as the pair pulled apart, her brown eyes double-checking that this was real. Aria's lips quivered as she looked up at her girlfriend through her tears. "I missed you so much."

Shuri smiled brightly and used her thumbs to wipe Aria's stray tears and smiled down at her, "Don't cry, darling."

"Don't worry, they're happy tears, mi princesa." Oh, how that name hasn't rolled off the tip of her tongue for the past two years.

Shuri chuckled at how happy her girlfriend was before she was brought into a kiss. Shuri's eyes fluttered close at the feeling of Aria's lips against hers. Such a soft yet longing kiss. Almost like she's been deprived of her kisses.

Aria kissed Shuri and even if it wasn't their first kiss, it sure felt like it. The battle going on around was silenced and it's like somehow a world of colors appeared before Aria's closed eyes. Every thought in her brain is stripped out and replaced with her. Her. Her. Her lips pressed into Aria. Aria's hands pulling her closer. When she finally convinces herself to pull away to talk to Shuri, her brain fails to string any thoughts together. Aria simply pulls her back and hopes that her kiss will show Shuri those three words.

When Aria pulled back, she lifted Shuri's knuckles to her lips and kissed each one. "There are miracles in your kisses, they are medicine to my veins."

"Of course they are." Shuri laughed playfully, "I'm just that good of a kisser."

Aria rolled her eyes and wiped the tears away from her cheeks, "Oh, shut up." She giggled softly and leaned her forehead on Shuri's as she closed her eyes, their hands still clasped together tightly. "You're actually here."

Shuri nodded, whispering, "I'm here, Aria. I'm here."

There. That's what Aria needed. Confirmation that she wasn't dreaming and the girl she loved was actually in front of her.

Aria let out another strained sob and pulled the princess back into another hug. "You cannot leave on me again. Ever."

"I won't. I'll never leave you again. I promise." Shuri nodded and ran her hands through Aria's new short hair comfortingly.

Pausing, Shuri went to pull back to inspect her girlfriend's new hair but Aria shook her head and kept her grip firm on the princess, "No, no. Just give me a minute to hold you."

Shuri nodded and just wrapped her arms tighter around Aria's waist before blasting an alien war dog away. "You do know we're in the middle of a battlefield right?"

"Yeah." Aria nodded and not even a second later, a bubble of water formed around her and Shuri, "There, now let me hold you."

"Whoa! Since when could you do that, Aria?!"

"I've been practicing."