NEW SPEARS

CITY OF STARS.
48. ❛ new spears.

BACK IN THE CONTROL room, Smitty watched the surveillance videos as Dr. Graham looked around the room for something. "It's some kind of sonic attack."

"Hey, Smitty, earplugs." Dr. Graham pulled out earplugs and stuffed them in their ears while offering some to her partner. She unhooked her radio from her waistband and switched it on, "We are under attack. You need to send in a strike team immediately."

"Copy. Mayday, mayday, this is Rotor 625. We are requesting assistance immediately."

"It's the Wakandans." Dr. Graham breathed out, trying to stay calm. "It has to be."

Smitty just pursed his lips and nervously grabbed his gun, loading it with ammunition before he and Dr. Graham stepped out of the control room, immune to the siren song due to their earplugs.

He ran up the stairs with Dr. Graham right behind him before they went in separate directions. The woman aimed her gun at an entranced soldier but Smitty moved her gun down, shouting at the soldier, "Henderson!"

Dr. Graham shook her head and motioned forward, "Smitty, we gotta go."

"Henderson!" Smitty shouted again as the soldier stepped on the railing.

"Let's go!" Dr. Graham said again but Smitty shook his head and fired a bullet in the air, the sirens ducking underwater as their spell was lifted.

"What going on?" Henderson questioned as he flinched from the loud sound of the gun.

Smitty motioned forward, "Get off the edge."

As Henderson was about to get off the edge, he is yanked down by a buff blue-skinned man. He wore a hammerhead shark headdress and leaped out of the water as speared Smitty against a wall. Two more Talokanil warriors following with breathing apparatus on.

Dr. Graham gasped and stood in shock before snapping out of it and firing at Attuma, only to watch the bullets ricochet off his vibranium armor like nothing.

Attuma chuckled and watched as Dr. Graham turned around to run but she didn't get far as a young woman stood behind her.

Dr. Graham swallowed thickly as she stared at the young woman in front of her. She wore a beautiful jade and gold headpiece, orange and white lionfish feathers lining the outer layer. She was adorned in jewelry, from the large, circular green jade plugs that hung from her ears to the tessellated necklace that she wore a striking amalgamation of gleaming silver beads, plated viridescent tiles to carved gold pendants, and everything that complemented her beauty. The seashell necklace glowed around her neck and her dark blue hair hung in ringlets just above her waist. The water dripping from her body made her look almost ethereal as the moonlight glistened on her smooth skin. She had golden vibranium armor covering her chest and waist, leaving her toned abdomen bare.

Though unlike the others Dr. Graham just saw, Aria wasn't blue-skinned or wore a breathing apparatus, making her recognizable in the moonlight. "Y-You're Princess Aquaria."

"You know me?" Aria smiled and tilted her head, the grip on her spear tightening. When Dr. Graham nodded, Aria's smile grew wider as she spoke in the sweetest accented voice, "Then you're not making it off this rig alive." Aria watched as the brunette woman stood frozen so she chuckled, "Well? What are you waiting for? Run."

The woman didn't need to be told twice and within the next few seconds, she had sprinted off. "Go." Attuma instructed the other warriors to follow the woman in his native language as he approached Aria, "Ba'axten ta p'áataj áalkab. Crea asab meyaj ti' to'on. (Why did you let her run? It creates more work for us.)"

"Tuméen Attuma, uts u piensen yaan jump'éel oportunidad yéetel Ba'axten ba'ax ma'. U rostros mina'an ti'ob tojol. (Because Attuma, I like them to think they have a chance, and why not? Their faces are absolutely priceless.)" Aria shrugged.

Attuma shook his head and rolled his eyes, "A el igual que a taata, teech u teech. (Just like your father, you are.)"

"Ba'ax jach. (Really?)" Aria smiled up, her chest filling with happiness although the dark situation.

"Mhm." Attuma hummed and furrowed his eyebrows when he noticed that Aria didn't have her usual bow and arrows, instead she had an ancient looking golden spear. "What happened to you bow and arrow?"

"I figured I stopped using them since it's too much stuff and when I run out of arrows it's such an annoyance so I'm going to be using this from now on." Aria started, looking at the spear that had some indistinct writings on the handle. "Besides, this was my mother's. It's from her home and look what it does."

Aria threw the spear away then extended her hand out, the spear returning to her hand in the matter of seconds. She squealed excitedly and looked up at Attuma, "Isn't that so cool?"

Attuma nodded with a small smile before he started to walk away with Aria to join the fight upstairs.

Meanwhile, the brunette sprinted down the catwalk and more of the blue-skinned warriors gracefully scale the rig, leading her to the helicopter pad at the top.

Dr. Graham turned back and shot some Talokanil warriors, slowing some and missing others. As one draws back a spear, she shoots him in the shoulder and sprints in the aircraft. "Go, go, go, go!"

One of the warriors ran forward and ripped off the helicopter door and the woman shoots at the soldier repeatedly as the chopper lifts off while a few of the blue-skinned people hang on to the skids. "Go, now! Spin! Spin them off!"

"Okay, they're gone!" The pilot shouted back as he looked down at the warriors who fell off. When he looked back forward, his eyes widened, "Oh, my god!"

A blue-skinned woman walked forward with a tall headdress and shoulder decorations made from fish fins. Namora walked to the left of Aria as Attuma walked to the right, all of them with their shoulders back and chins high, radiating authority.

Hearing a faint fluttering in the wind, the Talokanil army turned in the opposite direction, looking into the sky where they could see a glint of gold.

On the chopper, Dr. Graham fiddled with her seatbelt anxiously, "Just get us out." Once she was situated, she turned around.

"We're good." The pilot nodded.

Dr. Graham nodded and got on her phone, "Where is the strike team?! It wasn't the Wakandans! They... they were blue. Everyone is dead! There was an avenger, the water princess! Aquaria!"

Dr. Graham didn't get to finish her sentence as the helicopter suddenly jerked, multiple alarm systems going off. "Shit! What's going on?! What's going on?!"

"We're getting pulled backward!" The pilot spoke in disbelief as he struggled to regain control of the chopper.

"Oh, my god." Dr. Graham breathed out as she held onto the window, the helicopter spinning rapidly as they both scream. "Oh, god! Hang on!"

The helicopter continues spinning by its tail before being thrown into the ocean. Ku'kul'kan hovered over the wreckage, the wings on his ankles fluttering and keeping him up. The gold and blue armor-like neckwear that covered up to his trapezius muscles shined in the moonlight as he breathed out heavily.