BREATHE, JUST BREATHE

CITY OF STARS.
22. ❛ breathe, just breathe.

IT SEEMED TO ALL HAPPEN in slow motion as M'Baku burst through the emergency room of Wakanda's medical center with a small, limp figure in his arms.

All of the healers were being overloaded with patients since so many warriors sustained injuries during the battle.

"We need some help over here!" M'Baku called out and lauded the frail princess down on a medical bed, taking a step back so the healers could do their job. His suit was full of Aria's blood and his breathing picked up.

"Multiple blunt trauma protocol, everyone." One of the doctors in charge spoke to the rest. "She's tachycardic and hypotensive. Obvious head and chest injuries. Multiple lacerations. Sir, what's her name?"

"Uh," M'Baku swallowed, trying to think straight. This girl was not only a princess but was extremely important to the Wakandan royal family, "Aquaria. Her name's Aquaria."

The doctor nodded and lifted up the siren's eyelid to shine a bright light at her pupils to check for brain activity, "Aquaria! Can you hear me? Squeeze my hand if you can hear me, Aquaria."

"Maintain C-Spine immobilization."

"How are her vitals?" The sound of a flatline seemed to answer everyone's question. "Start compressions! Someone get me a crash cart and some epinephrine!"

Everyone rushed around the girl as a doctor started pumping her chest. One of the doctors grabbed the paddles from the defibrillator on the crash cart, "Charge to 110! Okay, clear!"

Everyone moved away from Aria and watched as an electric shot went through her body. When the flatline still kept going the doctor used the defibrillator again, "Charge to 170! Clear!"

Aria's body jolted up and her heartbeat could be heard on the monitor again so the doctors resumed their work.

"Looks like she's lost a lot of blood. Let's get her to a room. Make sure she gets lots of fluids."

M'Baku rubbed his hands down is face in worry and exhaustion, his eyes going wide when he saw one of his own men being treated on a table with his arm bitten off.

"I need to hold pressure. Let's go! Come on!"

"Out of the way! Somebody get me Dr. Abara." Rolling the girl into a random room and everyone laid a hand on her stretcher, "Okay, one, two, three, up! Get those I.V.s up."

"And make sure her lines are patent."

"Depressed skull fracture with a probable bleed."

The leading trauma surgeon walked into the room, "I'll do a trauma ultrasound."

"No obvious spinal deformities. Hang two bags of O neg!"

From outside of the room, M'Baku watched all of the doctors fuss around the princess but he just kept wondering, what if he had gotten to her faster? Did he find her too late?

"No breath sounds on the right. Set up a chest tube." The cardiothoracic surgeon announced.

"Left upper quadrant's looking clear."

"Somebody address the wound on her neck please!"

"I need those drapes to prep her chest."

"Temp's at 35 degrees!" One of the doctors addressed nervously.

"Keep giving warm fluids so she doesn't get hypothermic."

"Somebody put pressure on that wound!"

"Should we start on mannitol?"