NERVOUS RAMBLING

CITY OF STARS.
19. ❛ nervous rambling.

ARIA WALKED TOWARDS the window and gazed down at the battlefield, as Proxima sliced her sword downward and the creatures broke through the tree line, coming in by the thousands. "What the hell are they fighting?"

"They look like dogs," Wanda responded, she too staring at the rabid animals attacking the avengers.

Aira nodded and stepped away, walking towards her girlfriend, "Do you think you could do this?"

"Honestly?" Shuri asked, not even looking at the siren, "No. Look at them, they've barely begun the fight and there are so many dogs. We're outnumbered and I need time."

Aria inhaled sharply and stood behind the princess, standing guard in the hallway in case someone were to break through. She watched as Shuri focused on reconstructing the synapses, "I'd rather be dancing by the seaside right now or sleeping."

Shuri laughed after hearing the girl complain, "I'm tired too but when this is over we're taking the world's longest nap."

"Damn right we are." Aria nodded with a smile.

"How much longer, Shuri?" T'Challa questioned through the comms, standing over a dead hellhound.

"We've barely begun brother," Shuri responded and moved her hands faster, clicking and moving things around.

"You might want to pick up the pace," T'Challa commented back before swinging his arm around and slicing at a charging beast.

"Just breathe, you've got this, princesa," Aria spoke comfortingly after hearing Shuri groan with frustration and stress.

BRUCE BANNER WAS flailing his arms and punching whatever moved, Bucky getting tackled by a hellhound and stabbing it to death, Rhodey using every missile, bomb, and bullets he had in his armored suit until he was hit down by Cull Obsidian.

Bruce, Steve, and T'Challa got overpowered by the overflow of hellhounds before a beam of shining blue light struck the ground.

From the beam, an axe flew, circling around and killing many alien dogs. When the hammer returned to the light, it died out, revealing Thor Odinson, Groot, and Rocket Racoon.

Lightning sparked off of Thor's outfit and Bruce obnoxiously laughed as his mask folded back,  "Haha! You guys are so screwed now!"

"BRING ME THANOS!" Thor cried in rage, sprinting towards the sea of hellhounds with the two creatures in suit.

Thor leaped into the air, his eyes glowing white as the once-clear sky grew dark with storm clouds. Thor smashed into the ground, lightning killing everything around him.

EVERYONE IN SHURI'S LAB was extremely tense. Wanda stared at her boyfriend with a stressed look, Shuri bit her lip in concentration as she moved her hands quickly to try and get the stone out of vision, and Aria paced back and forth in the hall. She couldn't stand not doing anything and although she was protecting the princess, she felt the need to be down on the battlefield. It's where she belonged.

"If we die, I want you to know that I fall over constantly since my legs aren't that used to land as they are to the water." Aria blurted out randomly, everyone looking at her. "And I don't like sunny days and prefer rainy days but I pretend not to since you love the sun."

"We're not gonna die, Aria," Shuri reassured, a small smile creeping up her lips at Aria's adorable nervous state.

Aria swallowed thickly and nodded, continuing to share. "And a whale swallowed me once, my dad was panicking as he figured out a way to convince the whale to release me. And I used to have nightmares of jellyfish because one time a phantom jellyfish stung me and now I can't go anywhere near them. And I accidentally crushed a turtle once-"

"Hey!" Shuri snapped, stopping the girl's rambling, "We are not dying, Aquaria. Just breathe."

"A rhino stabbed my friend." One of the guards shrugged, giving Aria a smile to ease her nerves. "And a snake almost choked me once."

Aria tilted her head to the side, engaging in a conversation with the guard, "What's a snake?"

"Uh..." the guard frowned, trying to explain the animal so the girl would understand, "It's kinda like an eel, just on land."

"Ooh." Aria smiled, completely invested, "Tell me more."

"COME AND GET SOME, space dogs," Rocket yelled, firing relentlessly at the alien creatures surrounding him. Bucky turned on his heels, noticing a large pack of dogs running towards him.

Bucky glanced down at the raccoon before hauling it up by its hackle, spinning around while firing with his right hand.

"Come on!" Rocket shouted, firing everything in sight. "Get some! Get some!" After they were all killed, Bucky's dropped Rocket and studied the talking raccoon. "How much for the gun?"

"Not for sale." Bucky shook his head, glancing skeptically at Rocket almost as if he couldn't believe the animal was talking.

"Okay, how much for the arm?" Bucky gave him one more odd look before walking away, going to kill more creatures.

"OKAY BUT I REALLY HAVE TO tell you that I don't like-" Aria started up again making Shuri and Wanda groan at the girl's restless nature. They were all on edge but it seemed Aria was already cracking since she wasn't doing anything.

A distant rumbling made Aria cut her sentence short and furrow her eyebrows, walking forward as Shuri paused her work and Wanda walked towards the window to see what was happening.

The burning trees outside of the barrier started to crumble and fall when five gigantic serrated wheels mauled their way out of the ground and toward the heroes. Wanda turned around to the two girls with her eyes wide, "I-I have to-"

"It's okay." Aria nodded, gesturing towards the battlefield, "You can go, they need you. I'll protect Vision."

Wanda hesitated before she nodded, running out of the room to engage in the fight Aria so longly wanted to partake in.

"FOCUS THAT FIRE ON the left flank, Sam!" Rhodey ordered, dodging animals left and right in the air when they tried to jump at him.

"I'm doing it!" Sam snapped back, firing at the wheels, but watched as the bullets ricocheted off of them.

Across the field, Natasha and Okoye were fighting off the aliens. Natasha had her short staffs and Okoye had her spear. They both quickly noticed the five wheels spinning toward them and turned away.

Natasha held her hands up to protect her head but suddenly, Wanda flew down in front of them, using her telekinetic powers to lift the four wheels into the air.

Taking a quick glance back, she grunted as she threw her hands down, sending the wheels around the three and taking out the surrounding enemies.

Wanda turned her head, her hair blowing onto her face, and saw Natasha's proud smirk.

Okoye twisted her spear around in her hand. "Why was she up there all this time?"