The Punishment

MIDORIYA'S POV

"What I'm not understanding is how you two didn't see him pull into the driveway." Bakugo's boss Aizawa said as he slammed down the hospital file from the girl that was saved from the basement. "Your car was in perfect position to see the driveway."

"And the front door." Yamada added. When we were both asked to meet at the station to talk about what happened, my heart sank. I knew this was coming. We could have prevented that woman from getting hurt and going through the trauma, but we weren't paying attention.

"It's not like we did it on purpose." Bakugo snapped in reply. Neither of us made any movement to look down at the file. I'm not sure about him, but I didn't want any more guilt than I already had.

"Obviously not." Aizawa scoffed. "I've know you since you were at the academy Bakugo. You're not one to make mistakes like this."

"Neither are you Midoriya." Yamada added with a disapproving frown. Despite being the chief, he hardly showed any emotion other than happiness. It hurt to see him look so defeated. It hurt even more to know that I was the reason why. "So one of you better tell us what the hell happened out there." We both stayed silent for a minute before Bakugo let out a heavy sigh.

"We were fighting." Bakugo said. "It was stupid, and we know that. We know we fucked up."

"That's an understatement." Aizawa rolled his eyes. "You guys are both the head of your departments for a reason. Despite those reasons, you both have stuff you could improve on. Bakugo, you need to learn when to drop a subject. You also need to have more patience." Bakugo clenched his fists on his lap, but didn't say anything in reply. We were complete opposites in this position. He was filled with rage, and I was about to cry from having a breakdown. "You've almost cost us a few cases because of those reasons."

"Midoriya, you need to learn how to prioritize better." Yamada said, drawing my attention away from Bakugo. Prioritize? I didn't know that was a weak point for me. Nobody had ever mentioned it before. "You also need to learn to not be so timid all of the time. When you question someone, you usually let your partner do all the talking. That's not something that can continue to happen." I nodded my head. I hated that he was right. I also hated that Bakugo was right last night. It's not the fact that I'm timid, or shy. People just do what they want, and I fill in the gaps. I know that's not something I should do, and I'll work on it. I didn't know it was a problem before, but I do now.

"So what's my punishment?" Bakugo asked, looking at his boss. Aizawa looked to Yamada, not saying anything. My boss let out a heavy sigh before speaking.

"Midoriya, I am reassigning you." My eyes widened in shock, and horror. My team was all I knew. Despite the flaws he says I have, this is my job. I know how to do my job. "Temporarily."

"Where?" I asked, trying to hold back my tears. This job was all I knew. He could reassign me to another team, but that wouldn't do anything. It would he pointless since I'm not having problems with my team.

"As of today, you are no longer the head of the department. You are on badge arrest." He said with a frown. Badge arrest was a term we came up with, and it was a punishment I never wanted to receive. It means I have to turn in my badge, my weapon, and any other equipment that I had. I was only allowed to have them with permission for certain tasks and jobs. That didn't narrow down where I was going though.

"Where am I going?" I asked again as I grabbed my badge out of my pocket and unclipped my holster from my pants.

"Cold Cases." I groaned quietly. We didn't have a team in cold cases at all. Every time we got a new one, they quit within the month when they realized why they were called cold cases. They were damn near impossible to solve and it felt like you were always losing.