The Final Cold Case, Final Part

MIDORIYA'S POV

"You knew? You knew he was going to propose the second we were done with cold cases?" Apparently, my mother had been holding out on me. Katsuki had gone to her and told her about his future plans with me.

"I did. I even helped him pick out the rings." When I first looked at the band, I thought it was a simple silver band. The more I looked at it, the more I realized it was far from simple. It wasn't noticeable unless you studied it, but there was a fine line vine wrapped around the ring with a knot in the middle. Every time I look at it, I notice more details.

"This is a nice apartment. I like this area better than where you're apartment was. It feels safer around here." Technically, it is. But admitting that would mean acknowledging that I lived in a not-so-safe area before. "Why three bedrooms?" She sounded hopeful, and for the first time, I had no reason to destroy it.

"Right now, we'll each have our own office. And when we decide to make you a grandma, we'll share an office." She smiled while setting another box on the counter for me.

"You're going to adopt kids one day?" she asked.

I nodded. "We haven't exactly discussed how we'll get the kids, but we know we'll have a few in the end."

"A few?" Her voice got higher the more excited she got. "How many is a few?"

"Two. Maybe three." We haven't talked much about it, but we know we want kids in the future. For now, that's enough. I want to get our apartment set up and plan our wedding. Right now, that's enough for me.

"I'm so happy for you." My mom pulled me into a hug. "You deserve this."

I hugged her back. Actually, I don't know what I did to deserve Katsuki. I don't know if I ever will.

"When will he be home?" she asked.

"He said he can take off as soon as he's done with the last errand Yamada and Aizawa need him for." I took today off so I could have a long weekend of unpacking our new place. He said he couldn't take it off but would try to get home as soon as possible. It's about two, and I haven't heard from him yet. I'm beginning to doubt he'll be home early at all.

I slid the empty box off the counter and waited for her to slide me a new one.

We worked together silently, unpacking everything for the kitchen. We ended up using Katsuki's black dishes and ditching my mismatched sets. I don't need everything to be perfect and match, but he does. It makes him feel more organized and put together.

After we finished the kitchen, we quickly moved on to the bathroom. It was mainly towels and extra soap; we could have it done within half an hour. Besides the bedroom, the office was the last room we had to unpack. Those are both rooms I don't want my mother's help with. We need to go shopping for a few things, so I guess I could start by writing that list.

My mom sat down to help me, but we only made it through the kitchen appliances before Katsuki finally came home.

As soon as he walked through the door, I knew something was wrong. I'd never seen him look so defeated. "Babe, is everything okay?"

He shut the door and looked between my mother and me.

"I don't like that look," I mumbled while crossing the room. He was holding a thick envelope in his hand. "Babe, what happened?"

"Did you solve it?" My mother sounded hopeful as she asked.

Katsuki nodded. "Solve what?"

"Baby, sit down." He reached for me, but I smacked his hand away.