Forever After All

MIDORIYA'S POV

"I've got two officers down. Suspect is running, I'm giving chase. Track my location and send buses and backup," I said into my walkie before sprinting after the man who just shot two of my team members.

Uraraka was shot in the leg, and Shinso got in the stomach. Shinso had a vest on, so he should be fine. I didn't get a chance to look at Uraraka. My job right now is to chase the man and get him into custody. I called for buses and got back up on the way. The only thing I can do now is ensure I don't lose him while he's weaving through the busy sidewalks.

Pedestrians screamed when they saw a man running through town with a gun in his hand. Unfortunately, he shot unprovoked, and I never had the chance to pull mine out. I couldn't do it now. It's too risky, and I can't risk hurting anyone else.

"Can I get a car down 17th and 19th street heading west?" I asked into the walkie while continuing to chase. They'll meet at the star intersection if I can get a car going down both of those streets. He'll be forced to stop or take an alley, which I hope they have guarded.

I heard the sirens around me as we approached the intersections. Just like predicted, he took a sharp right down an alley. He must not be familiar with the city because he went right down a dead end.

"Drop your weapon!" I yelled while slipping my piece from the holster. "Now!"

When he reached the fence, he grabbed on and prepared to climb. As soon as he saw the cop car on the other side, he stopped and turned around. We both panted heavily as we looked at each other, weapons raised.

"Drop your weapon!" I yelled. The cops behind the fence now had their weapons out and locked on his back. "Drop it!"

His eyes stayed focused on me.

I'm not sure what weapon was fired first. I know mine never was, but we both got hit.

I don't know exactly what happened to him, but I fell to my ass when a single shot hit me near the top of my ribcage. The vest took the majority of the damage, but it certainly knocked the wind out of me.

"Midoriya!" Someone yelled from the squad car on the other side of the fence. "Are you conscious?"

I shakily held up my thumb. "Don't move, dumbass!" Someone else yelled. If the air would return to my lungs, I could yell back. However, it's taking its time. I feel like I just took a sledgehammer to the chest.

"We've got a bus right down the street! Stay still!"

I don't want to move anymore anyway.

I'm not sure how long I stayed there, lying on the cold, dirty cement, before someone came into view. I wasn't sure what his name was, but he was on the other side of the fence.

"Is he dead?" I asked quietly, thankful the air was finally reentering my lungs.

"Yeah. We fired right after he did. We didn't want to, but it's what we have to do."

I nodded. I know it is. "Thank you for stopping him."

"Alright, they're going to inspect you real quick before they load you up."

"Wait, do you know how officers Uraraka and Shinso are?" I asked. I need to know how they're doing. I didn't stay to figure it out.

"They're both on their way to the hospital. They'll get a full workup when they get there, but they were both alive when they left." Thank god.

"Alright, can you sit up?" The EMT lady asked.

"If someone gives me a hand, yes." She grabbed my hands and pulled me to a sitting position. "Are we standing now?" I asked. This isn't the first time I've done this. But like usual, I hope it will be the last.