Unspoken Word

MIDORIYA'S POV

"When we first met, did you ever think we would be where we are now?" I asked while staring out at the water.

"That I would be stuck in cold cases with you or that we would be sitting at a cabin with you on vacation?" he asked. "No. When I saw you for the first time, I was instantly drawn to your freckles and bright green eyes. I was going to ask you to go to the bar with me after we were done with our investigation, but everything kind of blew up."

I leaned my head on his shoulder with a quiet laugh. "So you're telling me that we didn't need to go through a huge fight in order to go out with each other?"

He slid his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him. "No, but I'm glad we did. Who knows if we would have seen each other again after one night? I feel like you would have avoided me if I tried to get ahold of you again."

"I definitely would have avoided you. I've been in too many different failed relationships." After failing so many times, I was ready to give up. Everything feels different with Bakugo. He knows how dedicated I am to work. He knows that I work a lot. Yet, he still wants me. I don't care what we go through; this relationship will always be worth fighting for.

Well, we're not technically in a relationship, but same thing.

"I don't think we'll be a failed relationship. You couldn't get rid of me if you tried," he smirked.

"It's a good thing I don't want to." The corners of my lips tugged up when he kissed the top of my head. "What do you want for lunch?"

"Burgers, macaroni salad, and chips," I replied quickly. I've been craving burgers since we got here two days ago, but we haven't made them yet.

"Why don't you stay here and relax with your book? I'll go fire up the grill." He placed one more kiss against my head before pushing himself from the sand.

"Are you sure?" I asked. "I can help."

He nodded. "Why don't you book us a time to go canoeing tomorrow?"

"Canoeing or Kayaking?" I asked. "I prefer canoeing because we can bring a cooler and chill at our own pace."

Before he could answer, my phone rang loudly in my pocket. "Twenty dollars says it's your mom again," Bakugo chuckled.

"I will not be placing a bet I'll lose," I replied. She's been calling pretty persistently, asking where I am and what I've been up to since I haven't seen her in almost two months.

"Maybe we can wait for canoeing and invite her for a day. Have a cookout and roast marshmallows," he suggested.

I raised an eyebrow in shock and confusion. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah. She can sleep on the pull out couch if she wants, and maybe my parents can join us the next day too."

The phone stopped ringing in my hand. I'll call her back in a minute. I want to talk about this a little more before I ask her anything. "You don't think it's too soon?" I asked. I mean, we've been doing this for almost two months at this point, but I hate introducing guys to my mom, who doesn't last.

"I don't. But if you do, that's okay," he reassured.

"No, I don't think it's too soon. I've just never really been on the same page with someone like this. Fair warning now, my mom can be overwhelming sometimes," I warned. I love her to death, but she can be clingy from time to time.

"My mom can be overbearing, so I'm sure it will even out." He crouched down next to me with a soft smile. "I look forward to meeting your mom, and I can't wait for my parents to meet the man I'm falling in love with."