Chapter 2. 1855 

Rosalie smiled, her eyes glittering. "It seems we do have that in common your grace. Is your father still living?"
Julian shook his head. "Sadly not. He was stabbed in the heart with a steak two years ago."
Rosalie. "My deepest condolences. My father was burned to death a year ago. My older brother Richard is now Viscount Blanchett."
Julian. "My deepest condolences to you. What is your mother like?"
Before Rosalie could even answer that question, she noticed her mother, Vivian, walking briskly toward them. She had dark red curls like her daughter, but blue eyes instead of purple. Her body was accentuated in her deep red silk gown.
Vivian. "Rosalie, we are leaving. I've had quite enough of this soirée and you need to be at your best for tomorrow."
Rosalie raised a brow. "And what is happening tomorrow mother?"
Vivian. "Why, you are going to be receiving a group of gentlemen to select for your protector and future husband."
Rosalie felt her stomach twist. She had completely forgotten about the fact that her mother was still playing matchmaker. She hated her mothers choices of gentleman. "Mother, may we not do this tomorrow?"
Vivian glared at her. "No, we are doing it tomorrow Rosalie. You are going to receive five gentlemen, and of those five gentlemen, you are going to select your next protector."
Rosalie glanced at Julian, apology flashing in her eyes. She hated her mother for being so over bearing. Vivian had taken control of her daughters life the minute she had been born. And it was becoming worse day after day.
Vivian glanced at Julian as well, her eyes narrowing. "And who might you be?"
Julian gave her a polite smile, but his eyes were burning with anger. "Julian Belmont, the Duke of Brittany."
Vivian's eyes widened. "My apologies your grace. I am Vivien Blanchett, Viscountess Blanchett. If you will excuse me, my daughter and I must be leaving."
Before Rosalie could say another word, much less say goodbye to Julian, she was being dragged away by Vivian. The warm ballroom was soon replaced by the cold February night air, and then the tufted leather seat of the carriage she was nearly thrown into. She glared at her mother as she took a seat across from her. "Mother, do you realize that you were being rude to the Duke? You didn't even allow me to say goodbye."
Vivian rolled her eyes, sliding her fan back into the bodice of her gown. "You don't need to say goodbye to him Rosalie. You have much more important matters to take care of."
Rosalie growled, crossing her arms and turning her head away from her mother. She knew one thing, the Duke of Brittany wasn't like any other gentleman her mother had forced on her since she and Thomas had separated. And that had taken place a year ago. She had been 20 years old at the time, Thomas 29. She believed he was going to take care of her, but it soon became clear that he only wanted her for show purposes and not pleasure.
Vivian. "You are going to be quite enthralled with the gentleman I have selected for you Rosalie. You have the Duke of Dumont, Viscount Chanelle, Baron Toulouse, the Earl of Provence, and the Marquis of Rohan."
Rosalie shook her head. Her mother had every eligible gentleman of status coming to her home! She couldn't believe her mother was wanting her to be a mistress to one of those gentlemen. She turned to glare at her. "Why must you select every gentleman of the peerage?"
Vivian. "Because you need status Rosalie. You are the daughter of a Viscount, and you must have the status of a Viscountess or higher."
Rosalie. "Then why bring Baron Toulouse into this? His position is lower than a Viscount."
Vivian rolled her eyes. "Because I am giving you more options this way."
Rosalie. "Mother..."
Vivian raised one hand. "I do not want to hear any more of this. You will receive those gentlemen tomorrow and that is final."
Rosalie turned her head away from her mother again, gazing out the window as the carriage drove down the cobblestone road toward their country estate. She wasn't looking forward to receiving those gentlemen tomorrow, knowing that all they would want her for was her beauty and nothing else. If they were anything like Thomas, she knew they would dress her up like a doll and take her out into society to show her off. No emotional connection. No pleasure. No love. And she was dreading every moment of it.
***
The following morning, Rosalie was awakened by her lady in waiting, Charlotte. She was bathed and dressed in a dazzling gown of cream silk with off the shoulder sleeves and a sweetheart neckline exposing her cleavage. Her hair was fixed into a chignon with diamonds woven throughout the crown of her head. Her cheeks were pinched and her lips were colored red. After being bathed with perfume, she took a deep breath and walked downstairs.
Vivian was waiting for her, dressed in a gown of gray silk. She looked her daughter up and down. "Lovely."
Rosalie didn't say a word, she was still furious with her mother for having to put her through this. If she had her way, she would choose her own protector and future husband. Squaring her shoulders, she followed her mother into the breakfast room where she would receive her suitors.