Chapter 5. 1855 

Julian took her face gently between his hands, his eyes alarmed. "Rose?"
Feeling as if she was going to collapse, Rosalie turned and rushed out of the ballroom. Moments later, she found herself on the terrace of Deponte Hall, her head spinning and her body on fire. She shook with fear, dropping to her knees as images of the previous year came flooding back to her.
Julian was at her side, tenderly taking her face between his hands once more and staring into her eyes. "Rosalie, what happened? Did you know that man?"
Rosalie whimpered softly, nodding. "Yes, unfortunately I do."
Julian caressed her cheek. "Who is he?"
Rosalie swallowed hard, her voice barely above a whisper. "Lord Thomas Francois, Viscount Olivier. He was my former protector."
Julian's blood boiled at the mention of Viscount Olivier. If there was one thing he knew about that bastard, it was that Thomas wasn't honorable. He growled. "That man was your protector?"
Rosalie. "Yes."
Julian. "At how long were you his mistress?"
Rosalie swallowed hard, trying to calm down. "I was his mistress for about three months."
Julian. "And during those three months, did he hurt you?"
Rosalie swallowed hard, looking down. "He did your grace. He used me for his own pleasure, never once wanting me to be satisfied. After our brief time together, he left."
Julian took a step back, staring at her incredulously. "Do you mean to tell me that he used you for his own benefit and then left without a goodbye?"
Rosalie nodded. "Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a new mistress."
Julian reached out and took her hand. "Do you want to be a mistress again?"
Rosalie stared at him, her mind beginning to spin. Yes, she was wanting to be a mistress again. Simply to prevent her mother from matching her with another gentleman who she despised. She took a breath. "I do. However, I don't want my next protector to be like Viscount Olivier. I want to be loved and cherished, not abused and then abandoned. I don't want to be paraded around Paris and London like a dress up doll."
Julian felt his blood simmer with rage. It was quite clear that Rosalie hadn't been treated well by the Viscount. Not well at all. He squeezed her hand. "I'm going to make sure that your next protector isn't going to be like that bastard. I promise you that."
Rosalie raised a brow. "And how do you plan to do that?"
Without any hesitation, without thinking of what the consequences of his actions would be, Julian pinned Rosalie up against the wall of the terrace and kissed her. His tongue swept across her lips, making him growl with pleasure. Bloody hell, he thought. She was so sweet.
Rosalie gasped quietly, closing her eyes and allowing her mouth to open. Her tongue swept across his, twisting with it, waltzing with it. Good Lord, she thought. He was so delicious.
Julian continued kissing her while his hands caressed her body, squeezing her breasts and pinching her nipples through her gown. What he wouldn't give to have her beneath him, to be inside her and against her. To have her moaning his name. He purred against her lips, feeling his cock straining against his trousers.
Rosalie was feeling just as hot and bothered. And filled with pleasure. Fire consumed her body, and she was wanting more. What she wouldn't give to have the Duke of Brittany making love to her that very minute.
Julian came away after several minutes, his eyes glowing. He caressed her cheek. "I believe I have found you the perfect protector Miss Blanchett."
Rosalie stared at him. "And who might that be your Grace?
Julian brushed his lips against hers. When he spoke, his voice was soft and seductive. "I believe the perfect protector is standing right before you."
Rosalie's heart stopped, her mouth falling open. "Do you mean to say that you'll be my protector? You want me to be your mistress?"
Julian gazed into her eyes. "I do. I can give you everything Viscount Olivier didn't. I can give you everything and so much more."
Rosalie felt her heart flutter with excitement. Julian Belmont, the Duke of Brittany, was going to be her protector. She was going to be his mistress, if she chose. She would never have to be at the mercy of Vivians matchmaking skills again. She would no longer be tormented by Thomas. She would receive everything she desired.
Julian kissed her softly. "Well?"
Smiling, Rosalie returned his kiss. "I would be honored to be your mistress your grace."
Julian smiled. "Wonderful. Inform your mother that you will be receiving a visitor tomorrow."
Rosalie smiled back. "Of course, but I won't tell her who it is. Or should I?"
Julian chuckled. "Why don't we allow your mother to be surprised?"
Rosalie. "Perfect."
Kissing sweetly once more, they walked back into the ballroom so as not to be caught. At last, both of them would have the happiness they rightfully deserved. They wouldn't be alone ever again. However, they had no idea how Vivian was going to react to Rosalie's choice of protector.