Chapter 7. 1855 

Rosalie was taken aback. Julian
wanted her as his wife after having her as his mistress for one year? She shook her head. He couldn't be serious.
Julian squeezed her hand gently. "You don't have to give me an answer now. I can wait until you're ready to become my wife. However, for now, I do want you as my mistress."
Rosalie took a breath and relaxed. Julian was giving her the opportunity to make her own choice when it came to being his wife or not. She gave him a soft smile before leaning forward and kissing him. "Thank you Julian."
Vivian. Your grace, what brings you here?"
Julian and Rosalie froze, turning their heads to see Vivian standing in the doorway with her arms crossed over her chest. Her blue eyes were staring intently at the two of them. They both realized they had been caught.
Rosalie. "Mother, I invited the duke of Britney to come for tea. We had a matter to discuss."
Vivian. "And what matter was that?"
Rosalie took a breath, bracing herself for her mothers reaction. "His grace has asked me to be his mistress."
Vivian's eyes narrowed. "You are going to be the Duke of Brittany's mistress? For how long?"
Julian. "I've asked Rosalie to be my mistress for one year.. "
Vivian. "Well, I suppose you can turn her into a proper mistress by that time."
Julian raised a brow with confusion. "What do you mean?"
Vivian glanced at Rosalie, smiling deviously. "You've not told him have you?"
Julian turned his attention to Rosalie. "Tell me what?"
Rosalie glared at her mother. "With all due respect your grace, I believe that discussion should be for another time. I don't wish to speak of it with my mother present."
Vivian. "Your grace, what my daughter means to say is that Viscount Olivier wanted her as his mistress, and only his mistress. Not his wife, not the mother to his children."
Rosalie whimpered, the images of her three month rendezvous with Thomas flowing back into her mind. "Mother please..."
Julian. "Lady Blanchett, I don't believe your daughter wishes to have this discussion."
Vivian. "Very well your Grace, Rosalie can tell you exactly what happened. But let me tell you this, Thomas François didn't want to fall in love with Rosalie. He only wanted her for his pleasure purposes and nothing more. And he received just that."
Julian and Rosalie watched as Vivian turned and left the tea room. Silence fell as they heard her footsteps travel upstairs. The silence was interrupted briefly by the sound of the grandfather clock chiming the hour.
Julian turned to look at Rosalie, still holding her hand. "What happened Rose?"
Rosalie swallowed hard, her throat becoming tight. She couldn't tell Julian what happened to her while she was with Thomas. At least not at that moment."Julian, may we not speak of this now? I'm not quite ready to tell you what happened."
Julian brushed his lips against hers. "Of course. Whenever you are ready, you know where to find me."
Exchanging another kiss, they enjoyed the rest of their afternoon tea. They tried not thinking about Vivian and what she had said. They knew that conversation was going to be for another time. Once they finished, Rosalie showed Julian the Blanchett gardens, then escorted him to the carriage that was waiting for him out front.
Julian kissed her softly, holding her face between his hands. "When  you want to talk, come to Brittany Hall."
Rosalie smiled softly, returning his kiss. "I Will."
Julian climbed into his carriage, settling back against the tufted seat. Tapping on the carriage roof, he told the driver to take him to Brittany Hall. He was wanting to know what happened to Rosalie while she was with Viscount Olivier. However, he wasn't going to press the young woman to tell him until she was ready to do so.
As Rosalie watched her beloved Duke disappear into the sunlight, she felt as if she was going to collapse. Vivian had nearly told Julian what Thomas had done to her during their three month engagement. The nerve of that woman, she thought. She wasn't ready to tell Julian what took place, not yet. But the time was going to come when she would tell him everything.
Vivian. "Do you really believe he is is going to want you after discovering that you're not a virgin?"
Rosalie world around to glare at her mother. "I am going to tell him everything when the time is right mother."
Vivian. "But you do realize that you're not pure. You've been ruined."
Rosalie's eyes flashed with anger. "Yes, I was ruined by the man you forced me to be with."
Vivian. "The viscount chose you to be his mistress, I simply told him that you would be the perfect match for him."
Rosalie. "And you knew all of the terrible things he did to me, and yet you didn't stop him."
Vivian took a step toward her daughter. "I did what was best for you Rosalie. I didn't want you falling in love with Thomas Francois. And it was quite obvious the gentleman didn't want you as his wife. What makes you believe the Duke of Brittany is going to be better?"
Rosalie. "I don't know if the Duke of Brittany is going to be better than Viscount Olivier. What I do know is that Julian is much more of a gentleman than Thomas ever was. The Duke cares for me, the viscount didn't."
Vivian slapped her daughter across the cheek. "You will not be his mistress!"
Rosalie staggered back, her hand flying to her face. "I'm going to be his mistress mother! And then, after one year, I'm going to be his wife!"
Before Vivian could say another word, Rosalie stormed upstairs, slamming her chamber door behind her. Falling onto the bed, she burst into sobs. Her mother was cruel, absolutely terrible. She didn't care about her happiness at all.
***
Later that night, after a silent dinner with Vivian, Rosalie made her way back to her bedroom, closing the door behind her. Walking over to her closet, she pulled out a deep blue cloak. She knew what needed to be done.
Having one of the servants fix up her horse, Rosalie mounted her stallion and made her way toward Brittany Hall. She had to tell Julian everything, before things became even more serious between them. She had no idea how he was going to react, but was hoping he wouldn't reject her.