Chapter 13. 1855 

Julian growled with pleasure, his hand moving down to her waist, and then beneath her skirts. His fingers brushed against silk flesh. Bloody hell, she was wet for him already.
Rosalie gasped against his lips as she felt his fingers circling her sweet wetness. She was mad for him, and by the evidence that was poking against her belly from his trousers, she knew he was mad for her as well. She noticed Thomas watching them, and then watched as he was walking toward them without his companion.
Thomas. "My word, you've gone from spreading your legs for me to being fucked by the Duke of Brittany."
Julian growled, removing his hand from Rosalie's sweetness. Turning, he glared daggers at Thomas. "For your information Olivier, I have not fucked Miss Blanchett. I've not even made love to her yet. Unlike you, I want to make sure my women are satisfied before I am. I want them to feel pleasure, not pain. Love, not hate."
Thomas burst out laughing. "And you really consider yourself a rake when you do those things Britney? I highly doubt that. Women need to know their place. They must remain silent and obedient."
Rosalie glared at him. "Women are not a plaything my Lord. They have feelings as well."
Thomas raised one eyebrow. "Really? I'm surprised you didn't tell me your feelings when we were together."
Rosalie. "I did tell you my feelings, but you didn't want to hear them."
Thomas. "Well, that is in the past. If the two of you will excuse me, I must get back to Lillian."
Julian and Rosalie watched as he  turned away and walked back toward his blonde companion. They exchanged a glance, realizing that Viscount Olivier was no longer going  to bother them. It was clear that Thomas wanted nothing more to do with Rosalie. He had a new mistress.
Julian. "Shall we go back inside? I believe the second act is about to begin."
Rosalie smiled, sliding her hand through his elbow. "I think we should your grace."
Walking back into the auditorium, they took their seats and waited for the second act to start. They were relieved that Thomas wasn't going to bother them any longer. However, little did they realize that someone was going to try and keep them apart.
***
Three days after the opera, Rosalie was seated at the breakfast table of her lovely cottage that was located next to Brittany Hall, nursing a cup of tea and a plate of scones. She and Julian hadn't made love yet, but they had shared several sweet and passionate kisses. It was clear they were both wanting to be intimate, but when the time was right.
Cassandra poked her head into the room. "I do hate to disturb you Miss Blanchett, but Viscountess Blanchett has arrived to see you."
Rosalie felt her happy bubble burst at the mention of her stepmother. "Thank you Cassie."
Cassandra gave her a soft smile before quickly leaving the room as Vivian replaced her in the doorway. She glared at her daughter. "So, I find you here instead of searching for your newest protector."
Rosalie glared back. "As a matter of fact, I have a new protector."
Vivian raised  one eyebrow. "Do you? And who is that? Is he the one who gave you this cottage?"
Rosalie took a sip from her tea cup. "Yes, he is the one who gave me this cottage. His name is Julian Belmont, the Duke of Brittany."
Vivian's mouth fell to the floor. "Do you mean to tell me that you have become the mistress to the Duke of Brittany? The gentleman who I told you not to even bother with?"
Rosalie. "Exactly. And let me tell you that Julian is the most wonderful gentleman I could have ever asked for. He's kind and gentle, and he cares for me. Unlike Thomas who only wanted me for his plaything."
Vivian. "Have the two of you been intimate?"
Rosalie shook her head. "No we haven't. And even if we had, I wouldn't tell you. I will say that Julian took me to the opera three days ago, and it was the most wonderful evening of my life."
Vivian growled. "Do you plan to do anything else with him? Do not tell me he has already given you gifts."
Rosalie. "We have several things planned actually. Dinners and balls, more operas. I am to be his mistress for one year, and then his wife. And yes, he has given me several beautiful gifts, gifts that I am going to love and cherish as much as I cherish him."
Vivian closed and opened her mouth like a fish, her blue eyes blazing with rage. "You are a filthy whore! You don't deserve the duke of Britney! You don't deserve to be happy!"
Rosalie's eyes became dark. "Leave."
Vivian. "You are going to tell the Duke of Britney that you no longer want to be his mistress. I'm going to find you the perfect gentleman."
Rosalie. "You won't find anyone better than Julian. And I am not going to tell him that. Now get out."
Glaring viciously at her step daughter, Vivian turned and walked out of the cottage. Climbing into her carriage, she settled back against the tufted seat. She was going to make sure that Julian and Rosalie wouldn't be together.