Chapter 22. 1856 

Vivian growled. bitch. You are just like your mother, always wanting the last word. Well, let me assure you that your mother didn't have the last word once I was finished with her."
Jacqueline stared at her. "What are you talking about?"
Vivian smiled deviously. "Oh, so you don't know how your mother died then."
Jacqueline felt her blood turn into ice. "Of course I don't. All I remember is finding her dead in her bed."
Vivian's smile became wicked. "Well, let me tell you exactly how your poor sweet mother died. She was poisoned."
Jacqueline's heart stopped. Her mother had been poisoned? How? And by who?
Julian. "Who was responsible for poisoning Elizabeth?"
Vivian's eyes sparkled. "My dear lord Belmont, you and your fiancé are looking at the culprit. Or should I say, the one who purposefully took poor sweet Eliza's life."
Jacqueline became numb, felt her face become pale. Elizabeth had been killed by Vivian. Her poor innocent mother had been poisoned, simply so that Vivian could have the title of Viscountess and everything that came with it.
Vivian. "Well? Aren't you going to say anything Jacqueline?"
Jacqueline's face went from pale to bright red with fury. When she spoke, her voice was a vicious snarl. "You putrid murderer! How dare you kill my mother simply to have what she had! You knew my father loved her more than you! You knew that you were my father's mistress and nothing more!"
Vivian. "And that's precisely why I killed your mother! So that I wouldn't be second fiddle to her! So that I could have what she had, including your father!"
Jacqueline was on the verge of losing it. She needed Vivian out of that house immediately. "Get out. I never want to see you again. And if you try to hurt me once I become Duchess, you will regret it."
Vivian took a step toward her. "You will not order me around."
Jacqueline's eyes blazed. "I can order you around. And if you show your face at any function, you will be ruined."
Julian brought her against him. "I suggest you leave Viscountess. You're no longer welcome here."
Glowering at them, Vivian turned and left the house. She knew Jacqueline wouldn't be pleased at the fact that she killed Elizabeth. That didn't matter to her. Once Jacqueline became Duchess, she was going to make sure her stepdaughter's life was a living hell.
Julian took Jacqueline's face between his hands. "I'm so sorry my love."
Tears gathered at the corners of Jacqueline's eyes and then rolled down her cheeks. She collapsed into his arms, sobbing. She couldn't believe that her beautiful mother had been poisoned by Vivian.
Cradling her against his chest, Julian picked her up and carried her upstairs to their chamber. Placing her down onto the bed, he crawled up beside her, holding her close. He was going to make sure that Vivian Blanchett paid dearly for the pain she had caused to his beloved.
***
The following morning, Richard arrived to Brittany Hall, having received a letter from Jacqueline that needed his attention. His sister's letter had contained the news that he had been dreading to hear, that Vivian had in fact killed his mother to gain status. Shaking his head, he stepped out of his carriage and walked up the three stone steps to enter the house. Walking inside, he was escorted to the breakfast room where Julian and Jacqueline were waiting for him.
Jacqueline was on her feet, walking to her twin brother and bringing him against her chest. "I'm so glad you came."
Richard squeezed her tightly. "I want to murder that woman. She has caused the both of us so much pain."
Jacqueline. "I know. However, we can't do anything except publicly ruin her. But I don't want to do that just yet."
Richard took a step back. "Why not? The sooner we ruin Vivian the better."
Jacqueline gave him a soft smile. "I don't have the proper status to do that just yet."
Richard was about to ask what she meant, but then noticed her gorgeous lavender diamond and amethyst ring. His eyes widened and he smiled. "My goodness, are the two of you engaged?"
Julian. "We certainly are. I proposed to Jacqueline last night."
Richard beamed. "Congratulations to the two of you. I'm so thrilled to hear the news."
Jacqueline. "And what about you and Amelia?"
Richard smiled brightly. "I'm planning on proposing to her in April."
Julian. "That sounds like a wonderful idea my friend. For the moment, why not stay for tea?"
Richard. "I would love that, thank you."
The three of them sat down to enjoy their tea and scones. They wouldn't ruin Vivian just yet. They would wait until the time was right. And when it was, they would strike.