Chapter 14. 1855 

Over the next three weeks, Julian and Rosalie spent more and more time together. They attended several events at the Paris opera house, had afternoon tea together, and attended a multitude of dinners and balls. However, there was one thing they hadn't done yet, and that was be intimate with each other. The chemistry and desire was blossomingThe chemistry and desire was blossoming between them, but they didn't want to act on it just yet.
Unfortunately, Rosalie's happiness was combined with her hatred toward Vivian. On the days that she wasn't with Julian, she was bombarded by more gentlemen. She realize that her stepmother was hell-bent on making sure she didn't end up with the Duke of Brittany. And that made her furious beyond belief.
One morning towards the middle of March, Rosalie was enjoying a book when Vivian walked into the drawing room. Raising her eyes from the novel she was reading, she gave her stepmother a glance. "Yes?"
Vivian gave her stepdaughter the same even stair. "I've procured another gentleman for you this morning Rosalie."
Rosalie closed her book, glaring at her stepmother. "And just who is this gentleman?"
Vivian crossed her arms. "His name is Lord Arthur Provence. He has just inherited the title of Marquis of Provence. He also has 15,000 pounds to his name."
Rosalie growled. "Mother, what is it about Julian that you dislike? He's a gentleman of honor, he is a duke, and he has 20,000 pounds to his name. Of course, the money doesn't matter to me. It's the gentleman that matters, and Lord Belmont..."
Vivian cut her off. "The Duke of Brittany is not my concern. I told you to stay away from him, and yet you've disobeyed me. I believe the Marquis of Provence is going to make you a suitable protector."
Rosalie glared at her. "What exactly do you want in my future protector?"
Vivian's eyes became dark as she took a step toward her. "What I desire for your protector is a gentleman who is going to treat you just as you are."
Rosalie. "A dress up doll? A woman who is silent and demure? Someone who isn't going to want children? Someone who isn't going to desire love?"
Vivian smiled wickedly. "Exactly my dear. I want your future protector to treat you as a plaything, just as Viscount Olivier did."
Rosalie was on her feet, slamming the book onto the coffee table in front of the chaise. Her eyes became dark as she glared at Vivian. "So you're wanting me to be emotionless? You desire me to be submissive to my protector and allow them to use me for their own benefit and then discard me like dirt?"
Vivian. "It's as if you know what I am thinking Rosalie. The Marquis of Provence is going to treat you exactly as you have described. I believe you and the Duke of Britney are much too emotionally involved with one another."
Rosalie was speechless, absolutely flabbergasted. She couldn't believe the words that were coming out of Vivian's mouth. Vivian wanted her to be a dress up doll, emotionless and quiet. Submissive to the Marquis of Provence. She growled viciously. "Let me remind you that I have emotions! I desire love and compassion, and I do not desire to be a Gentlemans play toy!"
Vivian. "And do you really believe that Lord Belmont is treating you the way you desire to be treated?"
Rosalie's fingers curled into claws. She was wanting nothing more than to slap the smirk off her stepmother's face. "Yes, Julian is treating me exactly the way I want to be treated. He has treated me like his future Duchess, the way I deserve to be treated. He has showered me with love and gifts, smiles and laughter. Gentle words and kisses. And we have not even made love yet."
Vivian was about to give a response, but then turned her head and smiled. "There you are lord Provence. My step daughter has been looking forward to seeing you."
Rosalie resumed her seat on the chaise, staring at lord Arthur Benedict in front of her. The gentleman was tall and very muscular, possessing salt and pepper hair with dark gray eyes. He wasn't handsome, not by any standard. There was a jagged scar from the top of his left eyebrow down to his jaw. He was wearing a three piece dark gray silk suit with a white button up shirt cravat and black boots.
Arthur smiled, his eyes glittering like storm clouds. "It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Blanchett. I've heard nothing but praise about your beauty, and I must say it doesn't disappoint."
Rosalie didn't say a word. She remained on the chaise while the marquee took a seat next to her. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Vivian smiling wickedly before leaving the room and closing the door behind her.
Arthur crossed one leg over the other, looking at Rosalie with wonder. His dark gray eyes roamed down her body lecherously, and he smiled with approval. "You are quite beautiful. I wonder what you would look like without any clothing on."
Rosalie shifted uncomfortably, her eyes landing on her hands which were curled in her lap. "I don't wish to become undressed in front of you my Lord."
Arthur leaned forward until his lips came to her ear. "And why not? You have no idea how beautiful your breasts would look between my lips. How perfect my cock would be inside that sweet little pussy."
Rosalie growled, slapping him away. "You fucking bastard! How dare you say those things to me!"
Arthur stared at her, his hand massaging his right cheek where she had slapped him. "My God, you are a little vixen. I like that."