Chapter 21. 1856 

Jacqueline. "You are really not going to tell me the surprise your grace?"
Julian chuckled, keeping a firm but loving grip on her fingers. "Not just yet my love. However, I will tell you that we won't have to go very far."
Jacqueline giggled, careful not to trip down the stairs as she was escorted to the final step. She couldn't believe that she and Julian had just celebrated their one year anniversary of being protector and mistress not three days ago. There was one more surprise Julian had in store for her, and she had a feeling she knew what it was.
Moments later, Julian brought her into the ballroom, his fingers becoming loose around hers. "All right darling, you can open your eyes."
Jacqueline opened her eyes and gasped as she saw the beautiful room before her. The ballroom had been transformed into an elegant dining room, complete with a small round table placed with roses of pink and red, along with a trio of tall glowing candles. The chandelier glittered with more golden candles, giving the room a brilliant glow. A single violinist was playing softly off in the corner, smiling at them.
Julian caressed her cheek. "Do you like it dearest? I know the ballroom is usually used for dancing, but I decided to use it for a very special occasion tonight."
Jacqueline brought her lips to his for a sweet kiss. "It's beautiful my love. Thank you, I love it so much."
Beaming with pride, Julian escorted her to the table and helped her sit down before taking the seat across from her. He poured her a glass of blood wine before the first course of soup was brought out. Pouring himself his own glass before clinking it against hers. "Cheers to us ma belle cherie. To our love, future, and happiness. Je t'aime."
Jacqueline brushed her glass against his. "Cheers to all of that ma tendre amour. Je t'aime."
They enjoyed their three course meal of soup, duck and pheasant with potatoes and vegetables, and a plethora of desserts. Once they finished, they moved to the center of the ballroom to begin waltzing. It was just the two of them, and that was all they needed. They twirled and danced across the ballroom, laughing and enjoying themselves immensely.
After dancing for at least an hour, Julian dismissed the violinist. He turned his attention to Jacqueline, smiling brightly. "You do realize the significance of this evening don't you?"
Jacqueline smiled. "I do indeed. It's to celebrate our anniversary. Well, to keep celebrating our anniversary anyway."
Julian chuckled before going down on one knee before her and taking her hand. "That's true, but there's another reason why this evening is so significant."
Jacqueline felt her heart flutter as she saw a deep red velvet box appear from the pocket of Julian's trousers. Her eyes widened as the lid of the box was removed, revealing the most beautiful ring she had ever seen. A quiet gasp escaped her lips. "Julian..."
The ring was magnificent. The band was composed of gold, the Centerstone a brilliant amethyst. The dark purple gemstone was surrounded by a halo of lavender diamonds. The gemstones twinkled brilliantly beneath the chandelier light.
Julian squeezed her hand gently, his eyes fixed with hers. "Jacqueline Elizabeth Rosalee Blanchett, from the moment I saw you a year ago, I knew that you were the one. You have brought me nothing but happiness and joy, fulfillment and pleasure. I promise you, from this moment forward, I'm going to give you nothing but love and compassion. I'm going to treat you the way a duchess deserves to be treated. I am never going to be violent with you, never going to be cruel or heartless. I promise to give you my heart body and soul forever. Will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"
Jacqueline was crying tears of joy. "Yes, yes of course!"
Sliding the ring onto her finger, Julian stood up and brought her against him. His lips attacked hers for a feverish kiss, which she gladly and eagerly returned. He came way, framing her face between his hands. "I love you my sweet darling. You have brought me so much happiness."
Jacqueline caressed his cheek. "I love you my dear. You've brought me so much pleasure enjoy, more than I could've ever imagined."
Their lips brushed against one another for several more sweet and passionate kisses. They held one another close, feeling their bond bursting with emotions of pure elation. At last, they were together. Suddenly hearing the sound of Benjamin clearing his throat, they turned and found him standing in the doorway.
Benjamin. "My apologies for disturbing the two of you and your lovely moment, but you have a visitor."
Julian. "And who is this visitor Benjamin?"
Before Benjamin could say another word, Vivian walked briskly into the ballroom. Her hazel eyes landed on Jacqueline, and then on the ring. She growled viciously. "I suppose congratulations are in order."
Jacqueline glared at her. "What are you doing here?"
Vivian. "I came to see if the rumor was true."
Julian brought Jacqueline against him protectively. "And what rumor do you speak of?"
Vivian's eyes landed on Jacqueline's neck, becoming narrowed as she noticed the heart shaped mark on her skin. "The rumor that my lady in waiting Victoire told me. That the two of you have become bound together. That you've been intimate together."
Jacqueline growled. "What does that matter to you? It's none of your business whether we have or not."
Vivian. "It is my business Rosalie. And it seems the rumors are true. You and the Duke of Brittany..."
Jacqueline cut her off, her voice ice. "My name is no longer Rosalie. My name is Jacqueline."
Vivian's eyes became dark with fury. "You know I despise that name. Your name is forever going to be Rosalie Blanchett."
Jacqueline took a step forward. "No, it's not. From this moment forward, I am going to be known as Lady Jacqueline Belmont, Duchess of Brittany."