Chapter 4. 1855 

The following evening was Francesca's dinner and ball. Everyone was dressed in their finest attire as they walked into her lavish estate. Francesca was the wife of lord George Deponte, Baron Dupont. She was known, throughout both France and England, for her lavish parties.
As her carriage came to a stop in front of her friend's home, Rosalie felt butterflies swirl around inside her belly. She was going to see Julian again, be with him for an entire evening without her mother getting in the way. Stepping out of her carriage, she noticed another one coming up beside hers. She watched as the footman stepped off the carriage and walked around to the other side. Her heart started pounding as she watched a single figure step out from the carriage and turn around to face her.
It was Julian. And he was looking absolutely ravishing. His muscular body was outlined in a three piece black silk suit with a white button up shirt cravat and black boots. His hair was neatly combed and his eyes danced with delight as he saw her.
Rosalie smiled at him, her cheeks turning a dusty pink to match the dusty pink silk gown she was wearing. The sleeves were off the shoulder, the neckline sweetheart and exposing a tiny taste of cleavage. Her hair was fixed into a side bun with curls along her left shoulder, and cream silk gloves completed her ensemble.
Julian said something to his driver before making his way toward Rosalie. Once he was within reach, he took her hand into his own gloved fingertips and brushed his lips against her knuckles. "You look ravishing Miss Blanchett."
Rosalie blushed even darker pink, her heart continuing to flutter. "Thank you your grace, and you look dashing. I'm glad you're here with me tonight."
Julian smiled back, sliding her gloved fingertips into his elbow and leading her to the house. "I am glad to be here with you. I wouldn't miss any soirée that you attended."
Rosalie raised a brow. "And why not?"
Julian pulled her aside as three couples walked past them. He brought his lips to her ear, his voice becoming low and husky. "I wouldn't enjoy myself if you weren't in attendance."
Rosalie shivered, heat beginning to gather between her thighs. "It seems you and I have the same values your grace. I wouldn't be able to attend or enjoy a soirée if you weren't in attendance as well."
Julian purred, brushing his lips against her neck. "I'm glad we have the same values."
Rosalie closed her eyes, feeling his sweet smell of cinnamon and pine trees flowing around her. Good Lord, this was heaven. She was wanting more, wanting him on top of her, inside her. She was wanting to feel him wrap his arms around her, to hold her and never let go.
Julian was wanting the same thing. Her sweet smell of vanilla and lavender assaulted his nostrils beautifully. He was wanting nothing more than to bury himself deep inside her, to claim her as his own. Reluctantly, he pulled away from her neck, his eyes glowing a brilliant dark red. "I believe we should make our way inside."
Rosalie's eyes had changed to dark red as well. "I agree."
Once they calmed down enough that their eyes went back to dark green and dark purple, they resumed their walk inside Francesca's home. They couldn't be caught by anyone. That would surely begin a delicious scandal.
Walking inside the elaborate and decorated dining room, Julian Rosalie and the rest of the guests were welcomed by George and Francesca. They were all given a glass of blood wine  and taken to their seats. The long table had 100 chairs on either side, each one placed with the finest China and silverware. Within minutes of everyone sitting down, the first course of French onion soup was served.
***
Two hours later, the guests were dancing to a beautiful waltz that was being provided by the trio of musicians off in the corner of the ballroom. The room was decorated with glowing candles that provided a romantic atmosphere. Laughter flowed throughout the room.
As she danced with Julian, Rosalie felt as if she was floating on clouds of happiness. For once in her life, she wasn't being told what to do by anyone. She wasn't being used. She wasn't being chastised by her mother. She was filled with nothing but joy.
Julian smiled at her, holding her close. "You are very light on your feet this evening my seductress."
Rosalie returned his smile, her eyes sparkling. "I should say the same thing about you pussycat."
His eyes sparkling just as brightly, Julian moved the two of them away from the glowing candles and toward the shadows of the ballroom. His lips came to her ear. "Do you realize how ravishing you are this evening?"
Rosalie purred as his lips came down to kiss her neck. "I believe you've told me that already this evening your grace, but I don't mind hearing it again. Because I believe you are just as dashing."
Julian purred with satisfaction, his canines exposing ever so slightly to glide across her skin. "I'm glad to hear it."
Rosalie was about to give a reply, but then noticed a gentleman staring at her. A gentleman she believed she would never see again. Her body became tense, her heart pounding.
He was the same height as Julian, but not near as handsome. He possessed black hair and silver eyes. His expression was serious as he stared at her. He was wearing a three-piece black silk suit with a deep red button up shirt black cravat and black boots. His black gloved finger tips were holding a whiskey glass.
Julian came away from Rosalie to look at her, his expression concerned. "What is it?"
Rosalie couldn't answer him. Her heart was pounding and she felt as if she couldn't breathe. No, she thought with fear. It couldn't be. She hadn't seen Thomas, had she?