Chapter 16. 1855 

The following evening, Rosalie was standing against the far wall of the ballroom, her eyes scanning the room for her duke. Her disguise consisted of a white off the shoulder gown of silk with a matching white fox mask. The bodice of the gown and the tips of her mask had small round diamonds. White silk gloves completed her ensemble, as well as her hair being fixed into a chignon with small diamond pins.
Rosalie's eyes traveled around the crowded ballroom for the third time that night, trying to find Julian. So far, she hadn't found him, and it was beginning to get rather frustrating. The guests had dressed to perfection, and their masks made it difficult to discover the owner.
Arthur. "My word, it seems the sweet vixen has arrived."
Rosalie felt her skin crawl. She wasn't wanting the Marquis of Provence to find her, much less be in close proximity to her. Turning her head, she noticed that he was standing right beside her, his face obscured by his dark gray wolf mask. He was wearing a three-piece silk suit of dark gray with a white button up shirt and matching white cravat and black boots. She took a step back. "My Lord, I am not here for you."
Arthur smiled wickedly, his dark gray eyes sparkling. "I'm sure you're not Miss Blanchett, but I am here for you."
Rosalie moved away from him as his hand tried to grasp her elbow. "My Lord, I suggest you take your hand off of me. I don't want anything to do with you, and if my stepmother has asked you to do this..."
Arthur grabbed her elbow tightly. "As a matter of fact, she has. She told me to make sure that you and a certain gentleman did not see each other tonight."
Rosalie felt her stomach drop. So Vivian was orchestrating this. She was making sure that Julian didn't come anywhere near her. Putrid bitch, she thought. She moved away from Arthur as he tried to pull her against him. "Please my Lord, I want to be left alone."
Arthur growled. "I suggest you keep silent and come with me."
Rosalie struggled against him, managing to get away from him. "I am not going anywhere with you."
Arthur growled, grabbing her again by her shoulders. "Yes you are. I'm going to make sure that you are treated like the fucking whore you are."
Her heart pounding, Rosalie threw her fist forward, watching as it made contact with Arthur's cheek. She turned and quickly made her way through the crowd, disappearing into a flock of skirts. Moments later, she found herself in an empty room.
The room was large, consisting of a blazing fireplace a coffee table and a chaise by the window. A few candles had been placed around the room, giving off a brilliant golden glow. Thankfully, it wasn't occupied.
Trying to calm herself down, Rosalie walked to the chaise and took a seat on the plush velvet cushion. Her heart was pounding a radically, her head spinning. She knew Arthur was wanting to use her for his own pleasure purposes, just like Thomas. And she wasn't going to allow him to put his hands on her. Hearing the door to her hiding space softly open and then close, she became tense. Had Arthur found her?
Rosalie examined the figure who was leaning against the door, looking at her intently. Her eyes traveled across his muscular body that was perfectly outlined in his three-piece black silk suit white button up shirt and matching white cravat. One black boot was crossed over the other. Her eyes traveled from his delicious body up to his face, and her heart started pounding erratically again. But this time, it wasn't with fear. It was with desire.
The sleek and majestic black cat with delicious dark green eyes smiled at her. His voice was a low and seductive purr. "It seems I have found my vixen."
Rosalie smiled, her eyes dancing. "And it seems I have finally found my pussycat."
Julian walked toward her, sitting down on the chaise next to her and enveloping her in his arms. His lips found hers, and he kissed her sweetly. "I've been looking for you all evening."
Rosalie returned his kiss. "And I've been looking for you all evening. I'm glad you found me in here and not the marquee."
Julian came away, staring at her. "The Marquis of Provence is here?"
Rosalie. "Sadly yes. He was trying to convince me to go with him somewhere earlier. That's why I came here."
Julian growled. "Did he come here of his own accord?"
Rosalie shook her head. "No, he didn't. Vivian asked him to make sure that you and I did not see each other tonight. She is hell-bent on keeping us apart."
Julian was on his feet, gently pulling her up with him. "Then we are leaving, now. I don't want the marquee to put his hands on you, and I certainly do not want the viscountess to get involved with our relationship."
Rosalie felt her pulse begin to race. "Do you mean to say that you're taking me to Brittany Hall?"
Julian took her face between his hands, his eyes locking with hers. "Yes. I am taking you to my home this very night and making love to you. After tonight, everyone is going to know that you are mine and I am yours."
Exchanging a sweet and passionate kiss, they quickly made their way out of the empty room, across the ballroom through the throng of guests, and outside the house. Locating the Duke of Brittanys carriage, they climbed inside and settled back against the tufted seat. They told the driver to take them to Brittany Hall. That night was going to be there's and theirs alone.