Chapter 9. 1855 

Rosalie came away to look at him, her tear filled eyes going wide. "You were married?"
Julian nodded, wiping his eyes. "Yes, but only for six months. Thankfully, I had no children with my previous wife."
Rosalie. "What was she like? And why were you married for only six months?"
Julian took a deep breath. "Her name was Genevieve LaBelle. I had met her at the opera. Our marriage was nearly 3 years ago, when I was 24 years old. I thought she was the love of my life, and I gave my heart body and soul to her. Unfortunately, I soon came to realize that she was only wanting me for my title and wealth. She told me she didn't want to have children. And she insulted me further by telling me I was terrible in bed."
Rosalie was staring at him aghast. How could anyone tell a gentleman that he was terrible in bed? How could a woman tell her husband that she didn't want children with him? She shook her head. "I'm so sorry that happened to you. She sounds awful."
Julian massaged his face. "Genevieve was nothing but vicious and cruel. She ordered my servants around as if they were dogs and not human beings. She spent an enormous amount of money on herself."
Rosalie took his hand. "And then what happened?"
Julian swallowed hard. "I discovered, through my butler Benjamin, that Genevieve was involved with another gentleman, the Earl of Montrose. I told her I wanted a divorce, and she was glad to do so. I've been searching for a wife ever since, but I have become very picky. That is, until I met you."
Rosalie felt her heart give a jolt. "It seems you and I have been searching for each other."
Julian caressed her knuckles with his thumb. "It seems we have. But I want you to know that I am not going to treat you the way the viscount did."
Rosalie caressed his cheek. "And I am not going to treat you the way Genevieve did. What she did to you was wrong."
Julian leaned forward and brushed his lips against hers softly. "And what Thomas did to you was unforgivable."
Their lips came together for several more kisses, their arms curling around one another's neck. Their tongues began a delicious waltz of sweetness, their bodies pressing against each other. They could easily remove one another's clothing and make love right then and there. But they knew that wouldn't be proper. It wasn't the right time.
Julian came away, his eyes glowing. "Would you like to stay the night? I can have one of my servants prepare you the finest chamber."
Rosalie became bright pink, her heart pounding. Julian was asking if she wanted to stay the night, at his home. With him. She smiled. "I would like that very much your grace."
Julian smiled back. "Wonderful. I'll be back shortly."
Rosalie watched as he stood up from the bed after re-fastening her laces. She watched as he stepped out of the room to go and speak to one of the servants about preparing her a room. Her body was burning with desire. She was going to be spending an entire night at his home, in the room right next door to his. She smiled to her self, images of what could possibly happen swirling around in her mind.
Julian returned a few minutes later with one of the servants. "Rose, this is Cassandra Wilson. She will be taking care of you and your room."
Cassandra smiled and dropped into a curtsy. "It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Blanchett."
Rosalie returned her smile. "Likewise Cassandra."
Julian. "I've had Cassandra prepare the room that joins with mine. That way, whenever you need me, I'm right next-door."
Rosalie smiled at him. "Thank you  your grace."
Giving her a quick kiss on the cheek, Julian turned and walked into his office. Closing the door behind him, he went and sat down at his desk, his eyes falling onto the stack of papers in front of him. He had a feeling this was going to be a very rough night for him and Rosalie. They would be right next-door to one another, so close yet so far. He could easily go into her room, or she could go into his room. They would be able to sleep together in one bed.
Julian shook his head fiercely. Tonight wouldn't be the proper night to make love to her. She wasn't ready for him, and he wasn't quite ready to be intimate with her. They still had much to learn about one another before that took place. However, when the time came, they would be ready.
***
Several hours later, around 1 o'clock in the morning, Rosalie opened her eyes to a strong desire to be with Julian. Slowly sitting up, she stared into the empty fireplace. What she wouldn't give to be in his arms, in his bed. Allowing her feet to drop to the marble floor, she walked over to her closet, pulled on her robe, and quietly stepped out of her room and into the hallway connecting the rooms together.
Rosalie took a deep breath as she walked silently toward the Duke of Britney's room. Cautiously raising her hand, she grasped the door knob and quietly turned it. The door was open. Her heart pounding like butterfly wings, she slowly stepped inside.