Chapter 10. 1855 

Julian was standing in the middle of his room, his bare chest exposed beneath the glowing fire light. From waist down he was wrapped in a large white towel. Droplets of water slid down his skin. His hair was damp from an evident bath. His dark green eyes focused on Rosalie as she stood frozen in his doorway.
Rosalie stood there, staring at the most beautiful gentleman before her. And she was only getting to see him from the waist up. She swallowed hard. "I... I apologize for disturbing you your grace. I didn't realize..."
Julian chuckled softly, shaking his head. "Please don't apologize Rose. It's all right. I should be the one apologizing. You didn't need to see me like this. I have been awake for the last several hours finishing up paperwork, and I thought a bath would help me relax."
Rosalie took a tentative step further into the room. "Did it help you?"
Julian tightened the towel around his waist before taking a step toward her. "It did, but it also ignited a flame inside my body for you."
Rosalie felt her heart flutter. "Did it?"
Julian. "Yes it did. I want you to know that I am a man desperate to touch you."
Rosalie's skin became hot underneath her robe and nightgown. Julian was wanting to touch her, just as she was wanting to touch him. She swallowed hard. "I desire the same thing."
Julian smiled deviously. "Then why not join me in bed this evening? You are my mistress after all. I believe it's time we get used to sleeping next to each other."
Rosalie smiled back, her eyes glowing. "I believe that's a wonderful idea pussycat. However, I must ask, do you sleep with clothing or not?"
Julian's eyes started dancing. "I do sleep with clothing, but only my briefs."
Rosalie. "Of course."
Julian. "What about you my seductress?"
Rosalie became bright pink. "I do sleep with clothing on. I sleep in my shift."
Julian. "Of course. Give me a few minutes to change and then I will join you."
Trying not to look over at the duke of Brittany as he dried off and pulled on a pair of briefs, Rosalie climbed into his large and luxurious bed after placing her robe onto one of the dressing table chairs. A few minutes later, she felt the bed shift, and then felt Julian slide under the covers beside her.
Julian caressed her cheek. "Is this all right? Please know that I am not going to make love to you. At least not tonight. I want you to feel ready for that."
Rosalie smiled before leaning forward and kissing him softly. "This is perfectly fine Julian. And, as much as I want to make love to you this evening, I don't want any scandal brought to our names. I want your servants and household to get used to the idea of having a woman in the house again before we get intimate. I do hope that's all right."
Julian smiled and kissed her back. "I don't mind waiting my love. When  the time is right, we will be intimate. But for now, let me shower you with gowns and jewelry. Take you to the opera."
Rosalie's eyes widened. "You are going to shower me with gift's?"
Julian. "Do you not want me to?"
Rosalie shook her head quickly. "No, no I do. It's just... I never received gifts from Thomas. At least not ones that I liked."
Julian growled. "That bloody bastard had no idea what you liked. He didn't take the time to get to know you and find out what suited you and what didn't."
Rosalie. "Exactly. You should have seen some of the gowns he brought. All of them low-cut and not fitting to my form at all. He had one of his servants tighten every corset to the point where I felt as if I was going to faint."
Julian shook his head with disapproval. "Let me assure you that you are not going to be receiving any such gown. What you are going to receive are nothing less than the finest gowns and jewels befitting a duchess."
Rosalie felt her heart give a jolt. She was going to be receiving the finest of everything. From Julian and no one else. Smiling tenderly, she brushed her lips against his. "Thank you."
Julian kissed her back, his arms sliding around her and pulling her against him. "You're very welcome ma cherie. I want nothing except your happiness."
Rosalie snuggled against him. "And I want the same for you mon amour."
Kissing once again, they fell asleep in one another's arms. Sparks of love and passion cascade it between them, ready to burst into flames. But they wouldn't allow those flames to ignite just yet.
As Rosalie fell into the land of dreams, surrounded by the arms of the Duke of Brittany, she knew she was safe. Julian was going to take care of her, in every aspect of their relationship. And she was going to take care of him.