8 | the s q u e e z e

| Z O Y A |

    LAUGHING AT ALYSSA'S JOKE, Zoya gasped when a car pulled over a short distance before them then drove off, leaving behind a body on the sidewalk.

"Mi rassclaat!" exclaimed Zoya, tightly gripping Alyssa's forearm.

Alyssa gasped before attempting to rush over.

Zoya grabbed her. "Yaa eedyat?!"

"We have to help," Alyssa said, freeing her arm and running off.

Zoya looked between Alyssa and the mall that they were coming from, pondering her options. She wanted to run away but her conscience wouldn't allow her to leave her friend. . .

Zoya rushed over.

Her eyes widened when she saw Caden - badly bruised and bleeding as he regained consciousness. Panic settled in her and she froze.

"Zoya, help me get him to my car."

"W-wa?" Zoya stuttered, unable to tear her gaze from Caden. He'd looked so full of life only hours ago. Tears welled in Zoya's eyes, her heart aching from pain for this boy who she'd only had two conversations with.

"Help me," Alyssa pleaded.

"We need to get the police," Zoya said, pulling out her phone.

"There's no time," Alyssa insisted. "I can bring him to my house. It's close-by."

This felt like a bad idea. What could two teenage girls do? Caden needed a professional's help. Regardless, Zoya complied, feeling too panicked to think clearly.

"O-okay," Zoya said, stooping and helping Alyssa to carefully lift Caden who groaned.

Fi a mawga boy, him real heavy.

Zoya tossed one of his arms over her shoulders and Alyssa did the same. The two of them struggled over to Alyssa's car, ignoring onlookers.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Zoya asked, one of Caden's hands clenched in hers as Alyssa started the car. "We should take him to the hospital. He's bleeding and-"

"My house is closer," Alyssa said, speeding off.

"Caden?" Zoya tried, reaching a hand out to cup his face. He groaned an answer and she could see his eyes fluttering behind closed lids, making her heart uncomfortably ache. It felt like she was sharing his pain. "You're going to be okay," she promised despite not believing her words.

She gently wiped away a smudge of dirt on his face, feeling protective of him. Giving his hand a tight squeeze of support, she sadly smiled when he returned a weak squeeze.

She didn't release his hand until they were parked before Alyssa's house. Barely paying attention to her surroundings, she helped Alyssa bring him up the stairs to her room.

They laid him on the bed and Alyssa ran about, gathering bandages, alcohol and whatever else she deemed necessary while Zoya remained glued to Caden's side.

"What do I do?" Zoya asked, eyes wide and heart palpitating from dire concern. Caden's chest was lightly rising and falling and her worry was embedded deeper into her being with each passing second.

Please be okay.

"Grab a bottle of Aleve for me. It's in the cupboard."

Zoya zapped into action. Opening cupboards with shaking hands, her finger brushed against a razor blade as she grabbed the bottle and ran back to the room.

"Thanks," Alyssa said, accepting the bottle from Zoya and giving Caden a pill.

He snatched the bottle and took two more pills, swallowing them without liquid. Dropping himself on the bed, his chest was heaving.