25 | the t a t t o o

| Z O Y A |

     LOUD METALLIC MUSIC was blasting in the tattoo shop. If Zoya was by herself, she would've been very scared. Thankfully, Kevin was seated close to her, keeping her company.

"Why yu father nuh play Caribbean music?" Zoya asked.

"Song fits the ambiance," Kevin answered, waving his hand around the parlor. The interior screamed goth, from the black walls to the faux skeletons hanging from the ceiling.

Why did Alyssa chose this parlor?, Zoya wondered. She would much rather spend her Saturday evening outside Satan's pit.

And away from Alyssa too. . . Things had been awkward between them since Zoya returned from Florida.

Consequently, when Alyssa got done with her tattoo and they headed to the car, the tension became suffocating.

Stopping beside her car, Alyssa sighed from frustration. "What is it?" she asked, eyes piercing like they could see through Zoya's soul.

"It's nothing," Zoya firmly responded. "It's just one of those days, you know?"

Alyssa eyed her for a moment before they entered the car. "I understand. . . Well, it's less than two months until we're at the Nicki concert living our best lives."

Zoya nodded. She was beyond excited for that May night to arrive. "Mi cya wait," she said with a smile as they drove off. "You just got your tattoo. . . which you still haven't made me seen. . . and you're already back in your hoodie. It's March, it isn't cold anymore."

"It's my safe place," Alyssa said with a smile. "Anyway. There's a fair keeping today, we should invite Pia."

"Okay," Zoya said, pulling out her phone. "Caden's at a game with Ryder right now and I think they're working later but I'm inviting them."

"No problem. . . You like him?" Alyssa asked. "I see how you blush whenever you mention his name."

"No, he's my friend. . . Like you and Kevin," Zoya said, wiggling her brows.

Alyssa playfully rolled her eyes. "We're just friends. I don't want anybody."

| C A D E N |

     THE BASKETBALL MATCH Ryder insisted on dragging Caden to, finally came to an end. Slightly annoyed, he stood one side while watching Ryder talk to one of the players.

A minute later, Ryder joined him.

"Who's that?" Caden pried.

"I thought I told you about him!" Ryder said, blushing. "He's. . . you know."

Tilting his head to the side, Caden eyed the boy from head to toe. He was white and despite being Caden's six-foot height, he was the shortest on the team. "Didn't know he was gay."

"You'd be surprised who's gay," Ryder said as they walked off. "You're like a big brother but I'm older than you."

"I don't want a repeat like at Riveria cause you know ima defend your ass. I know you can't fight for shit."